De'Longhi 4-in-1 Portable AC 700 Sq Ft

De'Longhi 4-in-1 Portable AC 700 Sq Ft

I’m going to be honest. At first I thought this was an AC router that covered 700 Sq ft with fast wifi.

8 Likes

Truth is for the A/C use you need a window you can release the heat through. These are decent once you figure out where you need it most and attach it and leave it.

2 Likes

Does this unit self evaporate?

I dunno… Mine is still there. I sure hope it doesn’t.

18 Likes

Now I don’t care who you are…That is funny.

6 Likes

Kudos to Woot for not wading into the slimy world of BTU deception as did the likely original purveyor of these units, SAMs Club (if an Internet search is a hint.)… “up to 14,000 BTU’s”.

Several years ago the Dept of Energy (DOE) finally caught up with science and forced these single hose roller A/C unit makers to get more honest with BTU claims.

So the old claims of 14,000 BTUs were forced down to a closer to real world 8,200 BTUs for this unit. Shamefully, De’Longhi and the industry insists on continuing to list the old BTUs under a sham certification and they tend to list it first… followed by the much lower, more honest DOE rating.

You will not find a DOE Energy Star rated single hose roller A/C unit.

In short, these single hose units exhaust the heat they remove from the room where they sit out the window but provide no route for makeup air for that air going out the window. The result: that lost air is made up by sucking hot, humid unconditioned outside air into your home somewhere through leaky areas and gaps.

Once caught, rather than shifting to producing more efficient (but still not as efficient as central air, minisplits, or window units) dual hose roller units (where the second hose provides a controlled, sealed route for makeup air), the makers continue to produce these energy hogs. Dual hose units remain very difficult to find.

14 Likes

Thank you for this. :+1:

2 Likes

Sorry meant to ask if I would need to drain this daily? Or does self drain?

1 Like

I have never had to drain mine but am using it in a dry climate. It works really good, the housing had to be clicked back into place and it was missing the adapter to attach to vent hose to the unit. I ordered one from De’Longhi as it would have been a major hassle to rebox and ship it back. Also if your bringing it upstairs it takes 2 people. I believe I could’ve bought the adapter at a hardware store but the unit was at my cabin and I didn’t take the dimensions down so it cost me the same amount in shipping as the price of the part.

1 Like

Seems pretty big for just a AC router, but if it goes 700 feet, that’s incredible!!! Will it work with my MAC?

3 Likes

Didn’t know MAC Cosmetics needs WiFi to work…
IoT makeups for the the win!

2 Likes

I’ve ordered 3 of these from woot. Other than a broken wheel, they’ve been great. I don’t think they’re energy hogs at all. They only pull a little over 1000 watts.

The bigger rated ones keeps my very large and open high ceiling room comfortable. It doesn’t make the room cold but keeps it at a steady 72-73• during the hottest days.

Going on year 3 and still work well. I do really clean and take care of the units for best efficiency.

1 Like

I have one with the drain issue mentioned in several reviews. It has a very small tank that fills after an hour or so on a slightly humid day. I keep it on a small table with a bucket underneath for easy dumping (the only thing that will slide under to catch drips is a cookie sheet otherwise). On an average spring day, I probably dump 3 quarts every 8 hours.

The heating and cooling functions are very efficient.

Do you think that I can throw this thing in a pop-up camper for a weekend in July and it will keep me from roasting?

Without disputing anything you said, a single-hose can be a cheap way to cool a single room of a larger dwelling, such as a home office. While I’m working, I waste a lot of energy if I try to cool the whole house to 72 rather than setting the house to 80 and using a portable to cool the room to 72. And the heat functions are outstanding. I mean, same issues, but a heat pump is so much more powerful per watt than a common electric heater.

I really wish they would make these portable unites with the plumbing to reverse the flow of refrigerant. If they did that then this would also be a heat pump powered heater. It’s a simple way to get cheap heat.

I bought this from Woot last year. Live in San Diego where a/c is scarce closer to the ocean and summer temps have been heating up. It’s a great unit to cool my bedroom. I’ve never had to drain anything. It’s a good time to buy it as the summer is when everyone tries to buy one. Two thumbs up

I have a similar model and it works great for cooling a home office during the hot months.

Read a lot of reviews, and all the negative ones say the same thing: On a hot day, it needs emptying about EVERY HOUR. That was the deciding factor in my passing on this deal.