Microsoft Surface Duo Dual-Screen LTE Tablets

Microsoft Surface Duo Dual-Screen LTE Tablets

Here’s the discussion from the last time:

1 Like

So, as I’d predicted, this is being sold again, but not even a month later and it’s $50 cheaper already. I didn’t buy it, but I’ve purchased a couple other things (e.g. the Galaxy Buds Live, Surface Headphones,) here on Woot that have been quickly relisted with steadily plummeting prices.

4 Likes

Cheaper because this time they’re LOCKED on the att network, the last ones were UNLOCKED.

6 Likes

I’m confused… Microsoft 10 or Android?

2 Likes

Yeah me too. I thought these had windows. I bought a first gen surface *not the folding type) and it’s windows 10. Confusing

2 Likes

I bought one of these from Amazon a while back. The phone itself is brilliant. It’s really really good at what it does. The only problem is if you buy the AT&T version you CANNOT carrier unlock it. After doing a little research AT&T does not have the codes to unlock the phone. That may change in the future but that’s where it is right now. If you are on AT&T buy this, it’s a great phone. You’re with any other carrier? Wait to find an unlocked one.
For anybody that’s confused, this is an Android phone, not a Windows tablet. I have no idea why the listing calls it a tablet. It’s a dual screen phone. Unfortunately we don’t get windows phones anymore.

5 Likes

If this were unlocked, I would have bought it at this price.

3 Likes

As a phone, it’s decent. It’s nice to have the extra real estate, and the hinge is solid. It uses Android, and I’ve had quite a few OTA updates, as is normal for Android.

The camera function is garbage. If you want to take selfies and nothing else, you’re set. If you want to photograph something else, good luck with that. You’ll need to open the phone all the way, and there’s a slight chance the phone will get confused depending on how you’re holding it.

Get the unlocked version if you want one, though.

1 Like

Previous offering:

:smiley:

3 Likes

it is Android

Thank you so much for posting the link for previous offering/discussion. I was actually considering this because it was cheaper than the SGZ fold, but similar design and I love the z fold. So here we are, a month later, and there is still no resolution to the unlock issue as of 18 hrs ago. Looking at the thread, it appears that a considerable amount of time has been stolen from wooters who have been trying to get their phones unlocked. It’s my understanding that federal law mandates consumers shall be allowed to unlock their paid in full equipment. (I could be wrong, I often am)

Per an AT&T rep, if AT&T is saying the IMEI is not recognized by their system you are screwed. He was trying to sell his Z fold that he got directly from samsung as a prize for selling the most Samsung phones. If it was never in the att system, it’s dead in the water.

So then we purchased a used phone on FB MP. We were told by AT&T that if it was recognized, then we needed to open an account with them for 60 days. After the 60 days they could unlock it. I don’t know how true that is because at that point we bailed.

All of this just seems like a sneaky way for providers to get around the federal consumer law allowing consumers to unlock THEIR fully paid for phones.

If MS is the only entity that can provide unlock codes, then I wouldn’t touch this with a ten foot pole.

Thanks again for the link, saved me a lot of aggravation.

2 Likes

The electronics (and other) marketplace is a little wild with the shortage of materials. The price we sell at reflects the price to us at that time.

The previous sale was locked to AT&T as well. See the link above.

3 Likes

Not even if it was $99. What an idiotic concept. Plus, the guarantee you will never see an OS update, as this turdburger is an aborted product. I’d buy it if it were $119 and came with 1 year of Amazon Prime — like the defunct Fire phone. As a joke.

2 Likes

Geezus how old is that listing?

1 Like

Does this phone do 5G? I can’t tell by the specs.

I believe I found the answer. NO. this phone is 4G only.
reference: Microsoft Surface Duo 2 May Support 5G, Come With Upgraded Camera (androidheadlines.com)

Just want thank you all for pointing out that this is the AT&T one. Otherwise I would have bought it.

1 Like

I’ve gotten quite a few ota updates.

Apart from the really crummy camera, it’s a pretty decent phone…but I have the unlocked version, which works really well with Google Fi.

2 Likes

It’s ancient. You can tell because back in the day, the ad writer was paid to be funny and subtlety put people in a frame of mind to buy. Clever psyops. Now? Not so much.

3 Likes