8-piece Künstler Cutlery Knife Set by Connoisseur

The whole Connoisseur line seems very inexpensive and largely unreviewed. This is likely a case of “you get what you pay for” and I would suggest that if you need knives for hacking pumpkins or zombies necks these might do the trick for one or two.

Who cares what the block is made of; it’s a terrible way to store knives.

Heh, good one.

Full tang is good, stainless steel… not really, no. It’s hard to sharpen and doesn’t hold an edge well. If you like sharp knives, look for carbon steel.

On the other hand, if you like to throw your knives into the sink and leave them there, stainless steel is what you need.

Check with Alton Brown for details:

http://www.altonbrown.com/shun/shun_edge.html

I don’t understand why people are questioning the build quality of these knives…

They’re cheap, and disposable. You know. In case of Zombie Candy Corn Invasion!

Good find. “Technical specs” from that site:

* Blades are constructed from 18/0 forged stainless steel
* Diamond finish butcher steel resists rust, stains and corrosion
* Knives feature full tang construction; the metal tang extends from the tip of the blade to the butt of the handle and is visible on all sides of the handle, ensuring that the blade will not separate from the handle
* Blades feature tapered edge for ease of sharpening and a fine edge
* Full rocking motion and comfortable, balanced feel
* Triple riveted handles are constructed from nearly indestructible hi-impact ABS

Anybody know if the steel used (see first two bullets) is any good?

I have to agree, that at first glance, these look like pretty decent knives for $25 shipped!

I’m in for one, don’t really have any good knives and the price is cheap. Not that these are probably good per say I’m just saying I don’t really have anything other then paring knives right now.

oooffff. Don’t put knives in the dishwasher if you can avoid it. You’re basically just going to end up dulling them faster. The edge of the blade will be bounced against the dishwasher cage and that just isn’t good.

Best Bet: Clean your knife after use with hot water and soap and allow to air dry before placing back in the wood block.

With a list price of $80. That’s not reassuring . . . the list price for many individual good knives can be $80 each. (Yes, I know that many people swear by the Victorinox at around $20, but even that has a list price of $40 for just one knife).

Also, I have to wonder about the measurements. An 8" paring knife? really? Your average chef’s knife is 8" (with a 10" being a very long knife). And a 13 inch chef’s knive? That doesn’t seem right to me.

razor thin nose,
mineral to metallic upfront,
faint slice of blood orange on the mid-palate,
piercing finish with hard oak,
somewhat an acquired taste

You should NEVER… i repeat… NEVER put your knives in the dishwasher. The dishwasher is death for any fine cutlery and any chef will tell you to hand wash all your fine knives.

I always heard 18/10 steel was the best. This means 18% chromium and 10% nickel… but not sure if 0% nickel is okay for knives?

The Shuns are about $600 better. Just to clarify, I’m not being sarcastic, I own a set of Shuns and they are the greatest blades this side of a disgraced samurai warrior’s innards.

How else will you fend off grotesque radioactive mutant apples? THIS HALLOWEEN, APPLES BOB… FOR US!

As per the knives. On one hand, I could really use a set of knives. On the other, I could really use a set of GOOD knives.

do you ever speak in normal sentences or is this how you go about your day, speaking in verse? :slight_smile:

I’m pretty sure that those numbers are inflated by including the handle length as well. Normally knife sizes are measured by the length of the blade. Figure an average Chefs knife in a set like this is 8" and you can figure out that the handle is about 5" in length. Repeat for your other blades.

I would really welcome another Tulare Cannonball offering. And this time I promise to crack that sucker open sooner.

upon reading this, Grades for Stainless Steel Flatware: 18/10 to 13/0 it sounds like 18/0 will corrode and pit easily (as opposed to the 18/10 I was talking about earlier). That is, assuming flatware and knives are comparable.

The grips look similar to my Chicago Cutlery knives, which are pretty comfortable. Of course it’s hard to tell without actually using them.

On review poems–
Why you gotta be like that?
It’s all in good fun.

Air drying knives is not the best bet, especially for these since they are 18/0 stainless steel, so they will rust. Dry with a towel immediately after washing.