800TC Sheet Set - 8 Colors - 3 Sizes

Hey all. We just got updated information from the vendor. Alpha cotton is their proprietary technology for woven, cross-weave cotton/poly fabric.

We’ve updated the sale to reflect this information.

Oh - almost 100% cotton. So this proprietary blend (recycled polyester lint?) is only an adulterant in the areas of the fabric where the 100% cotton fibers don’t reside. Almost…

9 times out of 10, the tag goes in the lower right corner of the mattress (if you are lying on the mattress on your back, tag by your right foot).
But, yeah, stripes are helpful :slight_smile:

Hi Folks,

Please someone help me. I am a male and not at all knowledgeable on anything like bedlinins etc. I just recently graduated from a full to a queen size bed ( a tempur pedic warranty deal), and course need to upgrade the sheet size. I like the type of sheets that have a substance feel (have a thick and cloth feel)thick and cloth which I am sure is 100% cotton (I hope I am right), but everything I end up ordering is real thin and satin like…I dislike immensely. Can someone tell me if these sheets being offered by Woot today is what I am looking for please…and what are the sheets that I desire are called please. Is the word percal applicable maybe? Also if these Woot sheets are not applicable can someone tell me where I might find them.

I have been looking for the appropriate sheets for a long time- I have 4 sets of the stripped satin and or microfiber stuff that I dislike and noe of the thicker or sheets with substance. Please H E L P and sincere thanks,

Nic Walker

I’d really like to find sheets that are deeper than 15". Once these get washed and dried, the will shrink and then just pop off the edges of the bed.

I’m with you! I prefer 100% cotton over these new-fangled microfiber products.

When I put a bed in my guest room, I went looking for 100% cotton sheets since none of my current sheets would fit (all my other beds are doubles, but the guest room bed is queen size). I got some nice “vintage” new-old-stock Calvin Klein sheets from eBay. I think I also found some others on QVC. They’re not vintage, but they’re 100% cotton.

I’m not convinced that a higher thread count really makes for a better product. I got some IIRC 200ct sheets in the late 1980s that were my favorites and got used a LOT for many years. They resisted wearing out better than some very expensive sheets with a much higher thread count.

Go to Bed, Bath, and Beyond and look and feel for what you like. Percale means smooth fabric: a smooth-textured closely woven cotton or polyester fabric. I would not order these sheets today for you, especially since you have four pair.

And these have poly in them. So does that negate anything over 500tc?

It would for me. I just don’t like the feel of synthetic fibers in my linens. The presence of synthetics makes tc immaterial as I wouldn’t consider buying it.
In regard to the earlier comment about high quality 200tc linens, I don’t doubt that there is fudging in the linen industry over thread counts. However, when you’re looking at mass marketed stuff, whether Target, BB&Beyond, Woot, etc. thread count likely is a reasonable metric by which to make a comparison. Thus, I’d rather have 500tc Target sheets than 200tc BB&B sheets. Throw in the situation you describe of high quality 200tc linens and the ability to compare is affected. However, I don’t think the major retailers are carrying the high quality 200tc sheets. You see 200tc sheets in Target and they’re good for a dorm room and little else.

Saying thread count is a reasonable metric to compare is even worse than saying megapixels is a good way to compare cameras.

At least there’s only one way to measure megapixels.

Simply put: thread count is damn near meaningless. Every time sheets are posted here, someone links to an “understanding thread count” article. I don’t think many read them, though.

Generally, anything over 400tc is a lie, as it becomes physically impossible to get more threads per inch. So your 500tc sheets from BB&B are (probably but not definitely) lying to be 500tc. If the manufacturer is stretching the truth there, where else is he? Most likely he’s counting each strand of thread, so your cheap 500tc sheets are probably 100tc by another manufacturer’s count, but the first guy counted each of the 5 strands in the thread as one thread.

Plus, more thread doesn’t mean better. The weave is more important, as some weaves use more threads but are rougher.

Ultimately, what matters is material and quality of material. A 200tc linen set from Italy is likely wonderful. A 400tc linen set from China is likely crap. A 250tc high quality Egyptian cotton set is probably glorious. A 1200tc poly blend is probably pure garbage.

Feeling in store isn’t even a surefire way to buy. Most cheap sheets have a chemical softener sprayed on them. They’ll be super soft when you put them on, but that softener will disappear the first time you wash it and the sheets won’t be half as soft as they were.

In the end, all you can do is buy from high quality, trusted manufacturers. Macy’s Hotel Collection is on sale all the time. W Hotel Sheets, from Area, are on sale all the time. Plenty of companies do fantastic Italian linens. Use the other stuff on the guest bed.

Check-out my new Alpha-cotton suit.

https://www.dressthatman.com/pics2/suit/suit261.jpg

I don’t disagree with you in the least. All I’m saying is, especially when you’re buying sight unseen, you need some form of comparison, even if it is faulty. 500tc Walmart sheets are likely going to have a comparable feel and composition to 500tc Woot sheets. For the price woot’s selling these for, I know they’re not going to compare to high quality, but lower tc, fine linens. All I’m saying is that if I’m buying cheap sheets, I’ll likely enjoy 500tc cheap sheets more than 200tc cheap sheets.

Have any of you gotten these? I jumped on the offer quickly as I have been too late on some of the other Woot deals for taking too long to decide.

I got these, thinking that Woot wouldn’t state they were 800TC 100% cotton if they weren’t. The update on the “alpha” cotton did not come out until after I bought them.

Got them yesterday, and thought I was just being a snob for thinking this percentage of polyester would make a difference. Figured I’d give them a chance. Compared to my other 400-600TC actually 100% cotton sheets, these are junk. I would not have paid $60 (for the king size) at BB&B, TJ Maxx, or anywhere else if I had known up front that they weren’t 100% cotton.

Not happy. I’ve been a Wooter for about 5 years, have never complained, and now I don’t know what to do. Any suggestions, anyone?

I’m sorry for the change in the sale after your purchase. Please email support@woot.com for assistance. Include your Woot username and order number for faster service.

Put me down for another unhappy camper who bought before the description was changed. I would not have bought if I knew these were cotton/poly. I was just so happy to finally see Cal-King sizes!

The package also mentions the thread count is based on single-ply threads. So in other words these are more comparable to 200/400 thread count sheets.

Is there a return policy? (these are still packaged)

Because of the feature change, yes. Please email support@woot.com for assistance. Include your Woot username and order number for faster service.

I got hosed on this one, too. Already washed em. I would not have bought them if I had known they weren’t all cotton (i even bought then in queen even though my bed is a full). Seriously disappointed.

Go ahead and email support@woot.com.

Well, I got these sheets, and they turned out to be pretty crappy… Started fraying on the first wash, and they feel weird and not very soft at all.

Ack! We just got home from our Thanksgiving trip and I found out these sheets are cotton/poly blend when I opened them up. I just e-mailed support. I hope they make this right.