Vector Robot by Anki Home Robot

Vector Robot by Anki Home Robot

I own a Vector but haven’t used it since the company switched to Digital Dream Labs. It’s such a cute robot and the community of Vector robots is wonderful :heart:

There is a subscription fee for it to work. A lot of people call it “pet food” :joy:

It’s honestly a fun Alexa device :heart: and you can play blackjack with it and it dances to music :heart: so many cool features.

3 Likes

Mine was $30 at Woot and I got a lifetime membership on Kickstarter. I need to plug the little guy back in. This price seems crazy- the preorder of the new one was cheaper and came with a lifetime membership.

And the description isn’t right- Anki doesn’t exist anymore.

2 Likes

They were made by Anki though.

• While Anki has ceased product development and manufacturing, Anki has stated that it will provide long term support to maintain the operation and functionality in the existing products and apps. A self-serve Help Center to assist in getting the most out of your product has been implemented by Anki. Regretfully there are no agents available but Anki has indicated that they will be monitoring cloud operations for Anki accounts and Vector.

True but they stopped supporting the cloud quite a while back. Like @ashleyheart said these aren’t very functional without a paid membership.

1 Like

Alexa and all the functions are disabled without subscription. It just sits there and does nothing. If you try and use it- it tells you a url to get a subscription

1 Like

Good thing I sold my Vector before Anki shut down.

Actually, they shut down a couple of weeks after I sold it.

2 Likes

Or open source?

2 Likes

It’s eventually going to be a fun side project for my husband. The subscription isn’t bad though.

1 Like

I wouldn’t have done it, mainly because I don’t use Alexa devices.

1 Like

The kickstarter had a lifetime membership for up to 5 Vectors for $17.

1 Like

I could be wrong but I think you need to purchase an escape pod to run it open source. I don’t speak computer. That’s $97.

1 Like

Don’t you have more than 5?

I have two- the cheap Woot one and a slightly more expensive one I bought after Anki went under but before DDL bought them out.

I’m still waiting for my Butter Robot.

My Woot off $30 Vector is still in the original sealed shipping box. Big plans… poor execution. :unamused:

2 Likes

Ha!

That’s worse than me.

At least when I purchase things which I won’t use, I’ll TAKE them out of the shipping boxes.

Sure, I’ll usually put them back in the shipping box, but at least I OPEN the box.

:w_tongue:

1 Like

So $350 for a robot that you have to them pay another $50 a year to use!?

Yeah, this is why I despise anything “cloud” or subscription based. When I pay for something, it’s mine to do with I see fit. I own it and it should do what I purchased it to do. I’m not “renting” something.

1 Like

Did you see this?

I only bring it up, because in both cases, the items went from being free, to needing a subscription to use basic services.

1 Like

I didn’t but I did see this

which is an identical (-ish) situation. This is the reason I don’t own anything “internet connected” except for open source computers that I myself maintain.

1 Like

Just like the Ring doorbell I quickly replaced. When I installed it, it was a functional device with an option to pay for additional cloud features. Then it became a doorstop rather than a doorbell without a paid subscription. I fear Wyze is swiftly chasing down that same path with its entire camera lineup.