Fruit Fly BarPro 4 Month Fly Protection

Fruit Fly BarPro 4 Month Fly Protection

Are these safe to use indoors where people are? Most want you to use these in a storage area location and not an average household setting.

2 Likes

There’s a review on Amazon that has a picture of the warnings on the product label. It might help you with your question. I’ve never used anything like this so I’m not familiar with how they work:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/RGFGVG4U0JSZU?ASIN=B009D17Z5U

(Please note: I don’t work for Woot, I just volunteer to help out here on the forums.)

4 Likes

I bought 4 Redtop Flycatchers for hanging up outside…it seems to work pretty good.

But oh Lordy do they ever STINK.

I guess it’s true, flies are attracted to stink.

3 Likes

From the context, apparently people don’t seem to mind drinking BESIDE these…

1 Like

The description text “allow the vapors to sink into every crevice and crack” suggests you probably don’t want these vapors in your food.
And it provides 200 cubic feet of vapor coverage? Time to check the chemicals being used…

3 Likes

Wow this is the best selling item right now. I do get fruit flies occasionally but I don’t like buying snake oil so I’m curious if any of you have experience

"Not for household use or around food.

Reviewed in the United States on May 17, 2018

Size: 1 Pack

I was disappointed upon receiving the product and reading the restrictions which indicate that this is not to be used in areas where food is present or in areas where people eat or where people are present for extended periods of time. It also indicates that if used in homes, to only use in closets and wardrobes. Not sure how that is helpful for fruit flys.

None of this was indicated in the product description. The description did say it was safe and odorless, however, based on the restrictions on the package, that is not true or correct.

When I went to return the product to Amazon, I found out it cannot be returned as it is deemed dangerous and/or flammable."

The graphics indicated some number of other pests this will shut-down. Might be some you might find in a wardrobe or a closet. Not totally misleading…

I canceled a purchase while I do more research.

9 Likes

200 cubic ft is only about a 3.6’ radius around it.
I can see why they suggest a closet use but not sure if you’d want your clothes to pick up the smell if it’s that bad, to stop moths.

I do not want to wear clothes that have marinated in this cloud of bug-killer stuff. We are supposed to LEARN from history to keep from repeating our mistakes. Every use-case carries responsibility for preventing serious risk, and then MOST of those risks are to YOU while you try to exercise responsible control… I’m going to go with the “not in my back yard” approach.

/sigh
The active ingredient is Dichlorovinyl Dimethyl Phosphate.
This stuff has been studied up and down, sideways, inside and out.
Unless you’re going to sit there and eat the thing, and a few more for good measure, you’re fine.
Yes, you’re fine having it around your food too.

5 Likes

They state it covers approximately 25 square feet, or a 5’x5’ area, or a 200 cubic foot with an 8’ height area. It is what it is. For a larger area, they suggest to use more of them. It’s not that difficult to understand.

And a “closet” doesn’t necessarily mean a closet of clothing.

Bottom line, these do work and the ridiculous fears of it’s active ingredient are only fears out of complete ignorance.

1 Like

It’s okay to disagree on the subject but please refrain from being insulting. It’s clearly a subject people are unsure about and are trying to learn. Thank you.

(Please note: I don’t work for Woot, I just volunteer to help out here on the forums.)

5 Likes

When people are “trying to learn”, it means there is ignorance regarding the subject they’re trying to learn. That’s not an insult. It’s describing the situation exactly.

And if people educate themselves regarding this product’s active ingredient, the education will prove those fears to be ridiculous. Again, describing the situation exactly.

Nothing about my post was an insult in any way, shape or form.

1 Like

No it is a neurotoxic organophosphate and is not as safe as you want it to be per the WA State Dept of Health.

https://www.doh.wa.gov/CommunityandEnvironment/Contaminants/Pesticides/PestStrips

3 Likes

A scholarly review reaffirms greater toxicity than presented.

2 Likes

Maybe safer to use cider vinegar & dish detergent in a cup?

2 Likes

thank you for this! we have issues with gnats or…some kind of tiny flying thing anyway (they don’t behave like fruit flies to me) periodically and living in the attic of an old three family there’s only so much i can do. thought these might help but looks like i shouldn’t use them up here. it’s only a few of these annoying things once in awhile tho so guess i’ll go on the old fashioned way - clapping them between my palms. (a venus flytrap did the trick on the most egregious ones in the bathroom a couple years ago tho! gone practically overnight and never returned. best $5 impulse grocery buy i’ve made.)

1 Like

Non toxic do it yourself methods

3 Likes

His 2nd suggestion is what I mentioned above - cider vinegar and dish soap in a short glass or mug. Works like a charm for me! Only difference is that I stretch a piece of plastic wrap over the glass container & rubber band it to stay on then poke small (gnat-sized) holes in it with a fork. They enter for the odor but can’t get out and when they get tired of trying, they go swimming. Good night gnats!

4 Likes