Echo Dot (4th Gen, 2020) Smart speaker

Echo Dot (4th Gen, 2020) Smart speaker

Not a fan of the 4th gen Echo Dot vs the 3rd gen, but this is about the lowest non-bundled price I’ve seen for a 4th gen Dot.

I’ve had good luck with Amazon-provisioned Woot sold used Echo devices in the past. When claimed “very good” condition, they tend to arrive with very minimal to no wear and tear and are well packaged in plain brown boxes. And when there was an issue, Woot customer support was very responsive.

Reasons not a fan of the 4th gen - awkward dust-collecting fabric topped globular shape. And the response LED light ring is at the bottom unlike the hockey puck 1/2/3 gen Dots where it is at the top. So when you are above the Dot where you’ll likely be when adjusting the volume using the top of device buttons, you cannot see the light ring at the bottom showing the volume position!?! (Yes, you can adjust volume by asking Alexa, but not gracefully, when answering a phone call and wishing to lower the volume of a stream.)

Owning 2, 3 and 4th gen Dots, there’s minimal sound quality difference (even playing side by side) between the 3rd and 4th gen Dots… unlike the big leap in sound quality from the 2nd to 3rd gen Dots.

The Amazon Industrial Designers were taking a nap and letting the interns do the 4th gen Echo and Echo Dot. Form should follow function, not the other way around.

5 Likes

Another note: These are 4th Gen DOT devices. That DOT part is important, as it indicates they do not have a built in Zigbee smart hub. This combined with the poor button/ring placement, and inferior sound quality, make them a no-go for most. There’s a reason they’re here.

1 Like

I got one of these from this deal and it didn’t work! Spent an hour on chat with Amazon support until I finally gave up. Whoever is checking these for quality isn’t doing a great job.

Bought and recieved…appeared to be new…only issue was it had a white chord (got a black model as it sits on a dark countertop, so the white chord stands out a good bit). Functions fine. A bit louder than my 2nd gen dot, but other than that, don’t notice much of a difference.

2 Likes

The one I got from an earlier Woot sale was nearly perfect. Had to really search to find signs of prior use - a very slight scuff(edit typo) on the rubber part of the base on the bottom of the Dot.

And being provisioned by Amazon, it arrived the next day, a Sunday.

If your Woot Dot has issues, I’ve found Woot customer support to be very responsive.

2 Likes

Device is ok, but as others said seeing the ring is difficult. Sound no better than 3rd gen. The dot with the clock display is more useful, but I never see them here at woot.

1 Like

Thank you. I was about to buy this until I read this comment. I need the Zigbee support.

Im waiting for this device with the clock at a low price, so Black Friday !

1 Like