Samsung 960 EVO Series - M.2 SSD

Samsung 960 EVO Series - M.2 SSD

While I think this price for the 960EVO is great compared with the MSRP for the 960 EVO itself (speeds 3200/1900)… the 980 (with faster speeds 3500/3000) is available on the mother ship for $50. (https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-MZ-V8V250B-AM-980-250GB-dp-B08V7P3SKS/dp/B08V7P3SKS/?th=1)

prob would skip this deal unless i’m missing something, which I often am.

1 Like

250GB just doesn’t seem like a practical drive for most users. It’s the “I have an old work pc that’s cleared for recycling so I’ll spend as little as I can to make it functional and turn a buck” option. They’ll use it and within 6 months need to replace it w/ something larger.

I agree with the ‘most’ users comment.
I have a VM server (proxmox) and dual 256gb to load proxmox on makes some good sense.
Certainly not the average use case for sure.
And I guess anyone doing what I’m doing doesn’t need the comment about speeds etc, as I think they already know stuff :slight_smile:
That said, I just had a neighbor buy 2 HP laptops from woot and they have slow spin HDD’s only but they have m.2 slots. I would easily buy 256gb slots to load windows on and those 11th gen i5 CPUs with an m.2 OS drive would basically kick total butt ( after load, the laptops were super snappy).

1 Like

It would make a good drive for a machine that doesn’t need a lot of storage. For example, I bought a mini-PC to use as a firewall, and while fast storage is good, it doesn’t need much space. Even running a HTTP proxy service with caching, the 128GB SSD I put in it is overkill, but it didn’t make sense to buy a 64GB drive for only a few bucks cheaper.

2 Likes