Uniden 40Mile 2-Way Radio Survival Kit - 3 Pack

Uniden 40Mile 2-Way Radio Survival Kit - 3 Pack

These are $64 on Amazon not $89.99

The $89.99 is MSRP, which is different than Amazon price.

(Please note: I don’t work for Woot, I just volunteer to help out here on the forums.)

2 Likes

There are several (not many) reviews there, so “This product has not been reviewed yet” is wrong.

Yeah.

It’s almost like the copyrighters are trying to hide something. Right?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B094DRXT5Y/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_28SV7KGPMJRSWYSY8XG0

$21.048/lb

(Based on 2.66 pounds info on Amazon.)

3 Likes

They would be nice to have in my RV.

Uniden’s website says this model gets 32 miles of range, not 40.

Just don’t expect me than (maybe) a mile or two on FRS channels (low power) and maybe up to 3 or 4 miles with GMRS (high power) channels, which require a license to operate and be compliant with FCC rules. 40 miles (or 32) isn’t possible unless there are absolutely NO instructions in the way (trees, buildings, curvature of the earth, etc.).

1 Like

FRS/GMRS rules were changed back in 2017. “Family” radios that transmit under 2 watts on the FRS/GMRS frequencies is classified as FRS and may transmit on any FRS/GMRS frequency (except repeater) without license. These radios transmit at a maximum of 1.7W.

FRS and GMRS share frequencies. The main thing that determines whether a radio is FRS or GMRS is the transmit wattage (and a few other things such as GMRS is allowed replaceable antennas, repeaters, and so on).

Even 32 miles is a stretch. Maybe if two people were on top of mountains on a clear and still day. I would not expect more than a couple miles under “normal” conditions for any FRS radio.

Edit - Found a nice blog post from 2019.

1 Like

Thanks for mentioning this. Many including myself did not hear of it but here is the annoucement:

FCC MODERNIZES PERSONAL RADIO SERVICES RULES

It is not crystal (pun) clear but your explanation plus the PDF puts it out there.

This also tries to explain

1 Like

I only know because I was in the market for radios around the time of the change. It wasn’t something that was advertised. The changes were written to allow most existing inventory to be legal under the new rules. Most manufacturers just placed stickers over the teen-tiny license disclaimer on the outside of the packages of their existing stock, but they still have the original instructions with the old disclaimer. I’m pretty sure there are still some pre-reform units on store shelves.

For what it’s worth, while checking myself, I found out that the GMRS fee has been lowered to $35 as of April 2021. Again, not needed for these radios and would not provide any advantage for use of these radios, but just thought I would throw it out there.

If I had the time I want to learn to use and get a license for 2 meter transceiver. In times of disaster they are used by a network of concerned folk.

First responders also have a growing network based on 5G. It is not dependent on standard cell towers which gets saturated in regional disasters.

The only way these radios will reach 40 miles is if both of you are 40 miles apart and on mountain tops. Thes are basically line of sight transmission. You will do to get a mile or two between radios.

1 Like

Pre-the.new.normal life - lots of people used these types of radios on cruises

I am wondering if cruising will ever be safe again - sorry my mind wondered

They work best for ‘Flat Earthers’?

4 Likes

They would work quite well in SW Kansas, I assure you.

1 Like

Or on larger planets.