Briggs & Stratton P4500 Generator

Briggs & Stratton P4500 Generator

Powerful inverter generator from a respected company, NOT the usual Chinese low-end with a licensed brand name that we see on Woot, 3 year factory warranty, 1/2 price: why? I think because the starting battery went flat on the shelf. Some Amazon reviews say so.

The manual linked says this is automatic choke, but I thought Woot said it’s the manual choke model. The newer model has bluetooth, I think not this one.

Now, I bet most wooters can charge that battery. Also be careful to read the directions about adding the oil before starting and the break-in oil changes, and saturating the air filter sponge with clean oil. Use Synthetic 5W-30 for best results.

In terms of a power outage would this be good for running larger/more power sucking (space heater/portable a/c) , fridge etc?

They make lowest and highest end. Depends on contract. Other examples - many if not most HDTVs including Westinghouse. Most Apple iPhones and iPads. Quality control specs also are by contract. In Europe, “Made in the US” for decades was synonomous with mass produced and low quality. Later Made in Japan took that dubious title. Nearly all Taiwanese brands like ASUS, ACER, are made in Taiwanese manager led factories in China.

This will run your air conditioner or refrigerator. Resistance heaters just turn electricity to heat and may max it out. A kerosene heater might be a good idea to have on hand but read all precautions carefully.

My Westinghouse TV was definitely a brand licensed to a no-name manufacturer, as was my Toshiba TV. As it happens, both were cheap and acceptable in quality and kept working, and were worth the money. But the brand owner sends you to the real manufacturer for service, and does not stand behind products with their own name on them. This is why I am careful to check that the actual brand services the item. There are many formerly reputable brands that you can never trust again, because these days they license the brand to all comers.

Back before I switch to small engine repair, I was an electronics technician for 20+ years. I will never forget one unit I had come in. I needed a schematic and parts for this one particular unit. I don’t remember the specific brands, so I’m just making up names here, but… let’s say it was a Funai. So I called Funai and was told “we didn’t make that, it was made by Goldstar.” So I call Goldstar. Same thing - “we didn’t make that, it was made by Westinghouse.” Sigh… so I call Westinghouse. Same thing, only different - " we didn’t make that and we have no idea who made it." I think I finally got fed up and told the customer to go buy something made in America, or at least by a known name brand.

1 Like

The telltale signs is often the remote control – the designs didn’t change from the actual OEM. Some brands were certainly more notorious for sourcing from anyone and everyone, though: store brands, of course, but as I recall, Emerson, GE and Magnovox used various OEMs over the years too.

RCA was a very common remote,too, and would work a whole host of TV brands. Those RCA universal remotes would oftentimes work a lot of TVs right out of the package without needing to be programmed.

That’s been a while! RCA ceased being RCA for at least 15 years now. I recall them being among the last companies to manufacture CRT TV sets in the US in the late 90s.

I told you I’d been working on these things for years! :cowboy_hat_face:

This unit has arrived, a whole two days after ordering, due to the wonders of Amazon Logistics, which delivered it without a problem.

It’s the manual choke unit, and the instructions about the choke don’t seem quite right. The choke lever is not under the maintenance cover. The choke is connected to the “run” knob, which has a “Cold Start” setting, a blank setting that is probably half-choke, a “Run” setting, and an Off setting.

The battery reads 12.5 volts, not flat. I put it on a trickle charger.

It still seems like a really good value for the price.

2 Likes