HP 17.3" Laptop (11th Gen i5, 12GB, 1TB HDD)

HP 17.3" Laptop (11th Gen i5, 12GB, 1TB HDD)

I know a lot of people would complain about the 1600x900 screen, but I had a dual core/quad thread i3 hp laptop from 2009 to 2012 with this resolution/body style that I was quite happy with. It’s perfectly useable, unlike lesser resolutions. The 8 thread cpu / xe gpu here is good for anything that doesn’t require major cpu or graphics horsepower. Light gaming, videos, business/school work. Trading pixel count for screen dimensions isn’t a bad thing - 17in screens are great for four-eyed people like me. I also found it to be fairly robust as a gadget I lugged around campus or offsite work projects, and if something had destroyed it, the cost was minimal to fix or replace.

(see, Woot? I don’t crap on ALL of your computer offers :slight_smile: )

3 Likes

Sounds very similar to what I have been using as a business computer but a 10th gen. My biggest gripe with these is why 12GB and not a matched set to make 16GB? Save the 4GB for the chromebooks and not force an upgrade over 4GB overstock.

2 Likes

Bought one of these the last time it was offered. First thing I did was upgrade the hard drive to a SSD, increase the memory and upgrade to Windows 11. It was painfully slow out of the box but with these upgrades it is really snappy now and I use the 1 TB as an external HD.

Perhaps it’s a way to get rid an excess inventory of 4GB sticks? 8GB of the 12GB will still be able to run in dual channel.

(Note that I am not staff. I just volunteer to help out on the forums.)

Upgrading to a cheap ssd will probably at least double the performance overall. The 12GB config is weird, but I’m actually okay with that, as it means a lower purchase price, since I usually will replace with 2x8GB or 2x16gb if the chipset allows, when I can afford it.

That said, my current tote-around laptop has the same ram (next level up 1165g7 cpu) and 12 GB and it does everything I need it to as a portable device. I’d also bet this has a brighter screen than the crappy 1080p my little dell has.