HP 17" Laptop (AMD Ryzen 5 Six-Core, 12GB RAM)

HP 17" Laptop (AMD Ryzen 5 Six-Core, 12GB RAM)

With these specs, this looks like a great deal. Anyone have experience with refurb laptops?

What’s the model number?

1 Like

Here’s the problem. Talk about a weak link:

• 1 TB 5400 rpm SATA HDD

My laptops a decade ago had the same hard drive, or similar.

Looks to be a great machine, horribly hampered by its weak heart.

Fortunately, high quality 1TB solid state drives are cheap now (<$100). That should be the first upgrade…before anything else. And with cloning software, it’s pretty easy these days.

So, be sure to add $100 to the bottom line for this rig, or be satisfied using 50% of its computing power.

4 Likes

That’s why I asked for the model number, so I can research how to swap the hard drive.

From the Title, the model number is 17-CP0025CL… the HP page is at HP Laptop 17-cp0025cl Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

1 Like

Ah. They kind of buried it at the end of the title. Thanks.

2 Likes

That hard drive surprised me as well. Not even mention of an SSD cache to help it out. Crazy that this thing exists. The other part that knocks it down is the 1600x900 display. That’s not bad on a 13-14" laptop. But on a 17" display, it should really be 1920x1080.

1 Like

I learn a lot from reading the posts on these laptops. Where is the best place to find a good deal on a laptop?

1 Like

I’ve bought a few refurb laptops from Woot and never had any problem.

1 Like

There is a similar refurb laptop on Woot for $20 less.
It has Intel CPU, no touchscreen, 1920x1080, different Wi-Fi module. Same RAM and HDD.

2 Likes

I bought one as a backup for my primary laptop. I will swap the HDD for an SSD and install a 2tb NVME for data.

1 Like