A GPS for my son & I to share: Please help!

Umm . . . does your son have a PSP (Sony’s handheld gaming monstrosity)? Sony is releasing a GPS dongle for it in the next few months . . .

Linkage . . .

Just another option . . .

Firebert: Wow, thanks for the info! The Garmin does seem to be the most popular one out there and the one I’m now leaning toward.

Killingtime: Thanks for the video. That actually kinda helped. I wondered what they looked/sounded like. And I knew it was a blinker! Sheesh.

AZGMan: We’ve lived here about 6 yrs but I’m a returning native. However, he spends most of his car time sleeping, playing his DS or watching videos on his Archos DVR (loves it!).

We live in the Dallas-Fort Worth area – a very large metroplex, lots of highways, traffic, etc. I can see him needing to go past his comfort zone for certain trips. He already feels directionally challenged so a GPS should help him find his way around and me feel more comfortable with him doing so. Then again, his sense of distance will need to be worked on (turn in .3 miles).

IlleDuce: No PSP nor does he want one. He can get all the games on Nintendo and has his Archos which does way more than the PSP.

To All: Your feedback has been great! I’m leaning toward the Garmin, just now have to settle on a model. Luckily I have time to look for good prices.

PS: I shake my head when I tell my son to turn left and he puts his left hand up to make an L. It’s the only way he can tell his left from his right to this day. The sad thing??? His dad (my ex) does the same thing if you give him directions while he’s driving.

uhm . . . left hand up making an L signals a right turn. :slight_smile:

Sigh [shaking head again]. A comedian at 3am, who woulda figured?

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l180/daj59/IMG_01161.jpg

Great . . . not only am I grumpy; now I’m a grumpy loser . . .

<heavy sigh>

*Have you heard about the lonesome loser
Beaten by the queen of hearts every time
Have you heard about the lonesome loser
He’s a loser, but he still keeps on tryin’

Oooooooh-hooooooo-hooooooo
Oooooooh-ooooooh-hoooooooo

Sit down, take a look at yourself
Don’t you want to be somebody
Someday somebody’s gonna see inside
You have to face up, you can’t run and hide

Unlucky in love
Least that’s what they say
He lost his head
And he gambled his heart away
He still keeps searching
Though there’s nothing left
Staked his heart and lost
Now he has to pay the cost

“It’s okay”, he smiles and says
Though this loneliness is driving him crazy
He don’t show what goes on in his head
But if you watch very close you’ll see it all

[Instrumental Interlude]

Sit down, take a look at yourself
Don’t you want to be somebody
Someday somebody’s gonna see inside
You have to face up, you can’t run and hide

Now tell me have you heard about the lonesome loser*

There is a difference between being lonesome and being alone, ya know!!!

. . . doesn’t change the loser part, though!

Yeah, what the hell were you doing up so early/late, AZG?

I was up at my regular time . . . ready for work . . . just checked in while waiting for Ms. AZG to get ready for work. Realize that it was 4 am our time - I’d already triple essed.

I was up at my regular time . . . ready for work . . . just checked in while waiting for Ms. AZG to get ready for work. Realize that it was 4 am our time - I’d already triple essed.

I was thinking the same thing, like he was used to riding a bike or somthing and was still making the hand signals.

Appreciate the backup, Fen!

No, no, no, no

Mr Pointer & Mr Thumb can form an “L” on your left hand. Thus “L” for LEFT, not loser. See photo above for a demonstration. So when we’re driving along and I say “turn left,” his hand – not arm – pops up in an “L.” See?

You can’t do this with your right hand, at least not correctly.

Even heavier sigh. AGZ, Mr Inferiority Complex needs to be put away. Say it "I am not a Loser. I am not a Loser, I am not a Loser. " I’m sure you are a wonderful person!

LOL. Off to finish my PBJ

uh . . . that would be Mr Inferiority Simplex . . . I didn’t even qualify for a duplex . . .

See KT, if you had the radio on in the background we never would have heard that!

That was soooooooo funny! I can’t see what I’m typeing because of the tears in my eyes cause I’m laughing so hard!

Thank you czar! I missed it the first time!

Sure it was. //snicker//

I use the Garmin i2. Watch it on Amazon, you can usually get it for about $100.00 It has all the features you request and works great.

My mom wants a GPS because she is got lost. It’s just a whim, but that is what she wants. Is the conclusion we came to get a garmin?

I got my dad a GPS for Christmas. The same one I bought for myself. I just need to buy the 1 GB card for it. If buying a GPS for a loved one, save them some time and download the software/maps to the unit for them as they probably won’t know how.

I don’t want to spend $300…