A Philips TV Of Your Choosing

I would take a Philips over an RCA any day. The company “RCA” has NO connection to the famed company of years past.

thx!!

They are both LCD TVs. One with fluorescent backlight, the other with LED backlight.

Can you use the net TV to directly connect to Netflix, Hulu, etc? We currently use an old Wii to connect to netflix, but been thinking of buying something like Roku or Apple TV, but will this do the same thing?

Right. At about $.15 per kilowatt-hour, payback will be only about ten years.

Yep… they’re completely bailing out of the consumer electronics business to concentrate on more profitable industries like medical equipment and lighting. But this isn’t “new” news. They started the bailout almost four years ago when they stopped making TVs for the US/Canadian market and Funai started manufacturing Philips branded TVs for those markets. The recent announcement (last month) was merely the final nail in the Philips consumer electronics coffin.

I have a 32PFL4507 in my office. It looks great when fed an HD signal. Picture quality when given a standard def signal is so-so at best, but mediocre scalers are par for the course with any non first tier brand.

If I needed another TV, I’d jump on that $180 price in a heartbeat.

Exactly. And as such, it does indeed improve the quality of the picture…just like any LED light is more clear/sharp than a fluorescent light.

ETA: back to my first post, the 32" LCD tv I have is a 1080p 120Hz, while the 29" LED tv I have is only 720p and 60Hz, which “should” produce a LESS-sharp picture. But like I said, the LED backlight source makes it so much better. It’s quite noticeable, and it’s not just me. I’ve had several people tell me this one looks so much better than my other one did. The LED is in the same location as was the LCD (so no difference in ambient room lighting, etc.) and the rest of their specs (except for the above) are virtually identical.

When you buy a philips refurb TV from woot, make sure you also buy a fire extingisher to keep nearby. Also make sure only to spend money you were going to toss in the garbage can anyhow.
Ours emitted a nasty high pitched whine even when on mute, then a couple of days past the end of the warranty it got very hot and smelled of acrid electrical smoke. Caveat Emptor, I guess. POS is more like it

A smaller screen will always appear to look sharper compared to a larger screen, 720p or 1080p. All network TV stations broadcast in 720p or 1080i anyway.

Yepp. Your singular experience dictates the entirety of everyone else’s experiences. Lets hope those who have had no problems don’t hear about this.

I am new to woot and looking to buy the 40" TV. Does anyone know woot’s (not philips) return policy? Do they have one?
thank you!

Aaah…if only I needed a TV…the 3 Philipps HDTVs I have bought REFURBED off of Woot have all been pristine and are still going strong…

The oldest being almost 8 years old!!!

Today’s sale offers a 90 Day P&F warranty. Normally, we also offer a Woot Limited Warranty, however today’s sale is not covered by this.

per the Woot FAQ:

Will I receive customer support like I’m used to?
Not quite. If you buy something you don’t end up liking or you have what marketing people call “buyer’s remorse,” sell it on Craigslist or at a garage sale. It’s likely you’ll make money doing this and save everyone a hassle. If the item doesn’t work, first, find out what you’re doing wrong. Yes, we know you think the item is bad, but it’s probably your fault. Google your problem, or come back to that product discussion in our community and ask other people if they know. Try to call the manufacturer and ask if they know. If you give up and must return it to us, then follow on to the next FAQ entry.

How do I return a defective product?
Unless we specifically tell you not to, call the manufacturer of the product you bought. You will likely get a replacement of a new model or better item from them. If we still haven’t dissuaded you, report your issue through our Support page. It’ll go a lot easier if you have the order number, the name of the product you are returning, and a detailed explanation of the problem. We will respond with return authorization by the next business day. Because we aren’t likely to have a replacement in stock, you should be prepared for a refund-only option if that’s all we can do. Know that return freight will be at your expense. Again, you will probably get a better deal from the manufacturer, or whoever else handling member service for that product.

Well going from the Philips Refurbs I have bought you probably won’t have any issues.

But if you do you can only return it to WOOT if there is something wrong with it…and methinks you have a month. If you decide you don’t want it…you have to refuse delivery.

If there is something wrong with the set after delivery you can have Philipps repair it.

THe Refurb warranty from Philips is usually about 90 Days on Refurbs.

I’m also pretty sure you can purchase a SQUARETRADE Warranty to cover your bases.

The short answer is it is wireless and you will be able to connect to at least some of your favorites.

[Experience a rich selection of online service wireless with your NetTV services. Enjoy movies, pictures,entertainment and other online content directly on your TV without any cable clutter whenever you like
• Assign hot keys on the remote for fast and easy access to your favorite apps from the NetTV menu
• With MediaConnect your Mac or PC screen is wirelessly projected on your TV, so sharing content and surfing the internet on your TV has truly become limitless

It is possible to adjust the brightness/contrast/color/etc of 2 sets to make one look “better” than the other, no matter what their specs. I suspect that this is the situation in your case. (Read the current issue of Consumer Reports for up-to-date tests of “LED”/LCD/plasma sets).

Is the wi-fi dongle included with the models supporting it?

This has built in wifi but you can access it on the back to change it if it goes bad. I bought the 40 webtv and the sound bar that is also featured today. Should be a nice bedroom set up even though there is no optical output on the TV.

(Relatively) new Wooter here. for some reason, it wont let me buy the TV! It’s denying me! All my address and credit card information are correct…