A place to call home: news, fun stuff, games, stories and everything else

New thread. I’m thinking this is going to be quite one sided and should probably just be called “Woody’s One Place”. Not to be conceded, or arrogant, but I intend to really fill this baby up in my spare time. No post whoring, just trivial factoids, news of the day, weather reports, daily scuttle, and some entertaining stories. After all, this is my second home.

You know the one I don’t currently have a second mortgage on.

If I ever move from my current place, I will need two Semi-trucks. The first will have what I used to own and will say “Settlement” on the side of the truck, the other will just say “His Woot”.

So don’t check back here, but over the weekend, when things are slow, be ready for an open house of everything clean. It’s a mission for a mission. Hell, I may even unlock the secrets of the universe?

Please don’t expect anything as I promise nothing. I am talking to myself even now just so I can be impartial and fair as both the judge, jury and the happy bailiff running out for sandwiches and beer. I will be my own stenographer and critic as needed.

Should you care to chime in, do so and be merry? Be happy. Be HAPPY MARY?

Just to get me started. I’m looking for a short story to read while I wait for the next woot to buy.

Starts Aug 20 http://www.woot.com/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=117913&PageIndex=5

Aesop

The Tortoise and the Hare

The Hare was once boasting of his speed before the other animals. “I have never yet been beaten,” said he, “when I put forth my full speed. I challenge any one here to race with me.”
The Tortoise said quietly, “I accept your challenge.”
“That is a good joke,” said the Hare; “I could dance round you all the way.”
“Keep your boasting till you’ve won,” answered the Tortoise. “Shall we race?”
So a course was fixed and a start was made. The Hare darted almost out of sight at once, but soon stopped and, to show his contempt for the Tortoise, lay down to have a nap. The Tortoise plodded on and plodded on, and when the Hare awoke from his nap, he saw the Tortoise just near the winning-post and could not run up in time to save the race.
Then the Tortoise said: “Slow but steady progress wins the race.”

Cincinnati traffic for today

Houston Weather
http://weather.msn.com/local.aspx?wealocations=wc:USTX0617

Woody, have you been drinkin already??

No not yet, but I’m thinking around 5-6 ish?

[quote user=“Woody1”]

No not yet, but I’m thinking around 5-6 ish?[/quote]

Sounds good to me…I’ll try to hold off till then [:)]

Updated: 1:45 p.m. EDT (17:45 GMT), August 19, 2005
‘The sky just exploded’

The twister leveled 15 homes in Stoughton.
A witness said “the sky just exploded” when a tornado roared through Stoughton, Wisconsin. One person was killed in the storm, 15 homes were leveled and at least 30 were damaged in the south-central Wisconsin town, according to a state emergency management spokeswoman. The National Weather Service is investigating reports of 18 possible tornadoes around Wisconsin, spokesman Greg Davis said.

(CNN) – An al Qaeda-linked group has claimed responsibility for rocket attacks Friday that targeted but missed two U.S. military ships in the Jordanian Red Sea port of Aqaba.

The three Katyusha rockets hit a warehouse and a hospital in Aqaba, killing a Jordanian soldier, and struck the nearby Israeli port city of Eilat.

A second Jordanian soldier was severely wounded. No U.S. military personnel were injured.

“Zionists are our rightful target,” according to the statement signed by al Qaeda in Levant and Egypt, the Martyr Abdallah Azzam Brigades.

The statement, posted on an Islamist Web site, promised an attack in the Israeli city of Tel Aviv.

“We bombed them in Taba and we attacked them today in Eilat and we will shake them up in Tal Al-Rabih (Tel Aviv in Arabic), God willing,” the statement said, according to a translation.

CNN cannot confirm the authenticity of the claim.

The Martyr Abdallah Azzam Brigades is one of several groups that claimed responsibility for the October 2004 attacks in the Sinai, Egypt tourist resorts of Taba and Ras Shitan. Those attacks killed 34 people.

On Friday, three rockets were fired from a warehouse in Aqaba close to the port, a Jordanian government statement said. The warehouse had been rented a few days ago by four people of Iraqi and Egyptian descent.

The casualties occurred when one rocket flew over the bow of the USS Ashland and struck a warehouse used by the Jordanian military, officials said.

“At approximately 8:44 a.m. local time, a suspected mortar rocket flew over the USS Ashland’s bow and impacted in a warehouse on the pier in the vicinity of the Ashland and USS Kearsarge,” according to a statement from U.S. Central Command.

“The warehouse sustained an approximate 8-foot hole in the roof of the building.”

A second missile landed near a military hospital in Aqaba, and the third landed in the neighboring Israeli Red Sea port city of Eliat, the Jordanian government said.

The third rocket partially exploded, Israeli military sources said, damaging a road and a car. It fell on a road just east of the city’s airport. No injuries were reported.

Israeli Defense Minister Shaul Mofaz said the two countries were cooperating in the investigation.

The ships were in port so sailors could train with regional partners, U.S. Navy Commander Jeff Breslau told CNN. “It’s very unusual for U.S. ships to be under attack in this part of the region.”

Security forces sealed off the area of the port near the warehouse. Breslau said the U.S. military ships subsequently left the port.

Marines from the 26th Expeditionary Unit were on board the ships “in support of the global war on terrorism (and) Operation Iraqi Freedom,” Breslau said.

The massive 844-feet, 40,500-ton USS Kearsarge is staffed with nearly 2,000 Marines and more than 1,000 sailors, according to its Web site.

The smaller 609-feet, 16,000-ton USS Ashland carries more than 400 Marines and more than 400 sailors.

CNN Senior Arab Affairs Editor Octavia Nasr, CNNArabic.com Editor Caroline Faraj and CNN Producers Arwa Damon and Michal Zippori contributed to this report.

Copyright 2005 CNN. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Associated Press contributed to this report.

After 1,335 yards and a career-high 17 TDs in 2004, Chargers running back LaDainian Tomlinson is the No. 1 player on the board.
John W. McDonough/SI

‘Idol’ Dropout Signs Record Deal
Aug 18, 1:47 PM EST

The Associated Press

Mario Vazquez didn’t need to win “American Idol” to get the record contract — the “Idol” dropout has signed a deal with J Records, home of previous winners Fantasia and Ruben Studdard.

“It’s just so exciting to see that my dreams are coming to fruition,” Vazquez told The Associated Press in an interview Thursday.

“Mario Vazquez is a multitalented, young Hispanic singer with the voice and charisma that we’ve been trying to find for a long time. His live audition for us was truly special,” Clive Davis, chairman of U.S. BMG, said in a statement.

Vazquez is best known for his brief stint on the Fox talent competition last season. Though he was considered a huge fan favorite, he dropped out of the show in the early rounds. Rumors swirled about why he left, but Vazquez says he just felt “Idol” wasn’t the right vehicle for him, though it boosted his confidence as a performer.

“I’ve been wanting to do this big, since the age of 12, 13. I’ve been struggling to get myself out there,” he said. “I felt like especially with this newfound confidence, why don’t I take a risk and see if I can do this on my own?”

Bo Bice and Carrie Underwood were the show’s two finalists, and Underwood won the contest. Vazquez said he sometimes thinks about what might have been, but has “no regrets whatsoever.”

“I don’t know how far I would have gone (in the competition),” he said.

The 27-year-old Bronx, N.Y., native says his upcoming album should be out in the spring, and will reflect a variety of genres.

“It’s going to be a fusion of everything I’ve grown up with in New York City,” he said, from R&B to alternative music to pop.

Vazquez said he’s especially excited to let his “Idol” fans in on what he’s been working on.

“I really want to just hit them with a great record and a real representation of what I love.”

Have to go out in the Cincinnati traffic. Can’t wait to get back to see what else has flitted through your mind.

http://shopping.msn.com/content/shp/?ctId=286
Fall Fashion 2005: Women
Black is back, hemlines are anywhere you want them to be and it’s all about layering, ladies. Getting dressed for fall has never been this easy — or chic.

Actually in Dayton today, so smooth sailing south for me[h]

Why major airlines aren’t bouncing back
advertisement

Air carriers are dogged by high oil costs and tough competition. That means even deeper problems for the companies and higher fares for passengers.

By The Christian Science Monitor

The nation’s already battered major airlines are in for an even harder few months ahead.

Mechanics are threatening a strike at Northwest Airlines (NWAC, news, msgs). Analysts say even if it’s averted, the carrier may have to declare bankruptcy. Delta Air Lines (DAL, news, msgs) is busy selling off assets in an effort to avoid going into Chapter 11, but it acknowledges that bankruptcy is still a very real possibility.

Despite unprecedented cuts in labor and operating expenses, most of the nation’s other major carriers are also racking up millions of losses every month.

Indeed, while much of the economy is on the rebound, the airlines are still struggling. It’s all thanks to the soaring price of oil and the brutal new competition ushered in by the success of low-cost carriers like Southwest Airlines (LUV, news, msgs) and JetBlue Airways (JBLU, news, msgs).

Oil prices hit home
For passengers, the transformation in the past few years has brought cut-rate fares, as well as trips without pillows and pretzels. So they’ve packed the planes but brought along bag lunches and bagels.

Yet as oil prices start to catch up with consumers as well, not only at the pump but also in electric and heating bills, experts say they’re much less likely to take that trip to Disney, no matter how attractive the airfare. People just won’t have the discretionary income. And that is expected to make things even rockier for the major carriers.

“It’s usually a long cold winter, and this one, I suspect, will be even rougher than usual. In fact, it could be the worst,” says aviation analyst Robert Mann of R.W. Mann & Co. in Port Washington, N.Y. “(Airlines) that usually lose money in the winter will lose even more.”

Check yer mail. Sent another nut story.

New story

Agent ORANGE!

The Spanish Inquisition
by Monty Python

In the early years of the 16th century, to combat the rising tide of religious unorthodoxy, the Pope gave Cardinal Ximinez of Spain leave to move without let or hindrance throughout the land, in a reign of violence, terror and torture that makes a smashing film. This was the Spanish Inquisition…

Chapman: Trouble at mill.
Cleveland: Oh no - what kind of trouble?
Chapman: One on’t cross beams gone owt askew on treadle.
Cleveland: Pardon?
Chapman: One on’t cross beams gone owt askew on treadle.
Cleveland: I don’t understand what you’re saying.
Chapman: [slightly irritatedly and with exaggeratedly clear accent] One of the cross beams has gone out askew on the treadle.
Cleveland: Well what on earth does that mean?
Chapman: I don’t know - Mr Wentworth just told me to come in here and say that there was trouble at the mill, that’s all - I didn’t expect a kind of Spanish Inquisition.

[JARRING CHORD]

[The door flies open and Cardinal Ximinez of Spain [Palin] enters, flanked by two junior cardinals. Cardinal Biggles [Jones] has goggles pushed over his forehead. Cardinal Fang [Gilliam] is just Cardinal Fang]

Ximinez: NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise…surprise and fear…fear and surprise… Our two weapons are fear and surprise…and ruthless efficiency… Our three weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency…and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope… Our four…no… Amongst our weapons… Amongst our weaponry…are such elements as fear, surprise… I’ll come in again.

[The Inquisition exits]

Chapman: I didn’t expect a kind of Spanish Inquisition.