A Strange Country

When he said Hong Kong my first thought wasn’t the city, but the cat. You know…Hong Kong Phooey number one super guy. Hong Kong Phooey quicker than the human eye. But that might just be a product of my '80s upbringing

and by cat I totally meant dog

It saddens me that you feel that way. Perhaps it should give you some solace in thinking about how much enjoyment those who are familiar with a certain shirt’s source material get out of it? I’ve been checking this site for many many years, and as far as I can recall they have always had shirts inspired by media.

(And btw that quote is from Portal, one of the most revered games of the last decade)

Maybe an underwater one with Enguarde the swordfish? Everyone’s favorite is Rambi though!

I played DK and loved it and I got the reference but I agree with you. I like unexplained oddities more. It’s a bit more creative than there being an explanation for everything. I think it’s a niche thing though.

I’m just saddened that a gorilla wearing a tie, holding a banana and riding a rhino can’t just be a gorilla wearing a tie, holding a banana and riding a rhino once in a while.

I’m a fan of the absurd, the less meaning the better. Maybe I should just buy some shirts without reading the comments (although I have too many Woot shirts already). Then if somebody comes up to me and says, “Hey, cool [fill in the video game here] shirt!” I can then take it home and throw it on the grill.

None of my comments are in any way meant to detract from this particular shirt. I LOVE the artwork (which just increases my disappointment in the gaming connection).

I feel ya. You might enjoy some of the designs over in our Hidden Gems sale (here).

at first glance i thought it was primal on rhinox too

Awesome illustration, Spiritgreen! This looks nothing like your usual fare, and goes to show your strength as an artist.

I can sympathize with this, but if anything the woot clientele would disagree. It’s been my experience that off kilter designs aren’t received all that well, and I think the medium almost dictates a reference: A gag needs be understood in about 10 seconds without being overly busy, so there really isn’t any opportunity for a setup.

Also, I think Spiritgreen is one of the most talented contributors to this site and would probably clean house if he started using more references.

Speed to First Woot: 1m 22.773s
First Sucker: Azar42
Last Wooter to Woot: kevinpflowers

Last Purchase:
3 minutes ago

First day sales 893
First day posts 29

And now my internet is back!!!
Well, it was back yesterday but I had taxes to do and get all the returns filed by midnight, April 15.

I’m so glad you added this “dog” part. My aging brain started to think I was remembering it wrong!!! :wink:
But, I do remember Hong Kong Phooey as well. Thanks for the blast from the past!