A19 LED Dimmable 60W Starter Kit, Color

A19 LED Dimmable 60W Starter Kit, Color

Since Woot hides historic prices/data now, here is a record of the prices here and what their CamelCamelCamel lowest prices were at.

Philips Hue Smart Dimmer Switch with Remote (Requires Hue Hub, Installation-Free, Smart Home, Exclusively for Philips Hue Smart Bulbs) $18.49 (CCC Lowest
$19.79 Feb 12, 2019)

Philips Hue 453100 A19 60W Equivalent Dimmable LED Smart Bulb (Works with Alexa Apple HomeKit and Google Assistant), White, 2-pack
$19.99 (CCC Lowest $23.89 Sep 01, 2018)

Philips Hue 458471 Smart Hub (Works with Alexa Apple HomeKit and Google Assistant), 2-pack
$34.29 (CCC Lowest $44.77 Dec 22, 2018)

Philips Hue 464487 Single Premium Dimmable Color Smart Bulb, 16 million Colors, 50,000 shades of White
$29.99 (CCC Lowest $28.99 Apr 04, 2019)

Philips Hue 468942 Single Premium BR30 Smart Bulb Downlight for 5-6 inch recessed cans, 16 million colors, Hub Required, Works with Alexa, Apple HomeKit and Google Assistant
$36.99 (CCC Lowest $35.98 Mar 18, 2019)

Philips Hue 455287 A19 60W Equivalent Dimmable LED Smart Bulb Starter Kit (2 A19 60W White Bulbs and 1 Hub Compatible with Amazon Alexa Apple HomeKit and Google Assistant), White
$44.99 (CCC Lowest $49.81 Nov 23, 2017)

Philips Hue 471960 White and Color Ambiance A19 60W Equivalent LED Smart Bulb Starter Kit (4 A19 Bulbs and 1 Hub Compatible with Amazon Alexa Apple HomeKit and Google Assistant)
$119.00 (CCC Lowest $134.99 Nov 27, 2017)

Adding random characters to prevent this as being seen as spam since each product has it’s own topic, ugh Woot. : zrtkjzfrklxfykjhfgyxkl.g;

1 Like

Aside from the obvious color changing, why would I want to use these bulbs vs actual smart switches like the tp link kasa ones?

You wouldn’t want to have dumb bulbs.

But why would I want to purchase 4 smart bulbs for one light fixture vs one smart dimmer that works with cheap dumb bulbs? What’s the benefit of a smart bulb vs a smart switch?

It gives you a lot more control for setting scenes when you have many bulbs on a single switch. For example, my kitchen has 10 bulbs on a single switch. It’s absurdly bright in there if you have them all on 100%. I can have a scene when I’m washing dishes that only brightens the lights over the sink and leaves the rest off or dimmed. Another case is in a fixture with multiple bulbs. Sometimes dimming them to their lowest setting isn’t dim enough for what you want to achieve. You can turn them all off except one and have very dim light.

This is of course, as you pointed out, ignoring the ability on the color bulbs to change/mix colors to get the exact tone you want.

TL;DR - If you don’t need complex control over individual bulbs, the smart switch will probably work just fine as long as you have dimmable bulbs in your fixtures to go with it.

4 Likes

Thank you. I didn’t think about that–mostly I was thinking about our kitchen lights (two switches, two fixtures, but each fixture has 10 candelabra bulbs) and trying to weigh the pros and cons of buying 10 smart bulbs instead of a single switch)

These are refurbished?
I checked the part # on amazon, it shows these are what they called ‘renewed’.
I don’t see that mentioned anywhere in the woot ad…

Hi there. The ones we are selling are New as stated below the price.

If you’re talking about the E12 style candelabra bulbs, I would no question go with the switch. The Hue E12s are absurdly expensive. To do 20 of them (both of your fixtures) you’d be spending close to $500 for just the plain whites, closer to $1000 for the color bulbs. Do the wifi switch and throw some dimmable LEDs in and call it a day.

1 Like

Yeah unfortunately most of the fixtures in our house are e12 base. We have two ceiling fans we added after we bought it that have a single normal base, but pretty much every single fan and chandelier is e12 :roll_eyes: