ACDelco Plug-2-Go Car to Car Charging System – 2 Pack

By ‘calling AAA’, you mean calling on your AAA batteries, right? Not a bad idea - that’s what I do. I take my TV remote when I drive anywhere. And if my car battery dies, I start looking for someone who knows how to mod a TV remote so I can press Power to start my car. It’s more convenient than these charger cables because I’m used to carrying my remote around in my hand, but not cables like these.

worng!!!

here’s whatcha do:

1. red (+ or pos) on dead battery terminal to red on live battery terminal;

2. black (- or neg) on live battery terminal to engine block of dead car NOT THE BATTERY TERMINAL!

3. Gun Live car while starting dead.

4. Disconnect in reverse order.

Ask a Canadian, we know what we’re doing and the best beer to drink while doing it.

(Creemore; although Mill St Organic Lager is fine… and for yinz south of 49, J.W. Dundee’s Original Honey Brown)

you’re welcome.

At least with these you don’t have to worry about ruining the alternator on the donor car.

I tend to agree with everything you said except for the math. It is not like pouring a little bit of electricity from one battery into the other. in fact, the only I have been able to reliably jumpstart a car, particularly one with a larger V6 engine as the dead one, is to use heavy gauge charging cables bbattery to battery and then hand signal the operator of the charging car

Mr. Smith was stuck out there in nowhere on a back country road and without jumper cables ( he went to look at a cow and left his lights on. I drive by with my Harley he waves and I stop see if I can help. Clearly one would doubt that a biker can help and yes I happen to have one of these devices in my saddle bag. I plug it into my lighter and into the cars. We chat about biking and after a few minutes (it was about 10) Mr Smiths car started and I packed up my Go Car to Car Charging System and another good deed done. True story. No they are not jumper cables but more than once I have used these suckers and made someones day. Hopefully I will not need them for myself but if I do I got something. Beats waiting an hour for AAA or cursing that there are no cables around. Oh I am getting 2 more for gifts. Ladies if you need a boost stop a biker!

WRONG! So in their wonderful cheapness, the big power batteries that drive the car WILL NOT “start” the car sadly. And there is no “jumper” to even use all that power if the 12 volt battery goes dead.

The Prius, like a regular car, uses the 12 volt battery to start everything. So having a fully charged drive system can still result in a dead car if the 12 volt battery is dead (if you left the dome light on over night for example.)

That said, getting your Prius to “ready” state takes a lot less power than a normal car IF the drive batteries have sufficient charge. I have “started” my Prius with a household charge on a dead 12V batter in just a few minutes; just enough charge to get all the electronics to turn on and get the car to ready. Seems once the drive system is on, the engine had no trouble starting. Perhaps there IS a 12V charging system once the car is on? Not sure.

Lstly, given the stupid location of the 12V battery on a Prius (behind a kick panel in the hatch section, which you cannot open without power!!!), this is a LOT easier than jumper cables.

You of course forgot to say WHY you should do it your way. The other way is not wrong, but it could lead to sparks near the battery which could ignite a small amount of hydrogen that bubbles off the battery when charging. By moving the second connection away from the battery, you also move the spark you will get away when connecting AND disconnecting. After a long bit of charging, I have seen some good “pop” flashes from sparks near a battery.

Thanks MacGyver

You opened the floodgates!! (Go PC! Steve Jobs stinks!)

Now that’s a use I can buy into!

This past winter my fiancee’s battery died and when we tried to jump it with my car, her hood latch was frozen shut. One of these was the only way for us to get her car out of taco bell. Definitely not as efficient as jumper cables, but for that worst case scenario they do work. Two for this price sure beats the $20 for one at pep boys

Good for you though, being so helpful, getting that “frickin’ drunk”, as you say, right back on the road…where he belongs!! Well done!

Yeah…if you don’t mind hanging out for an hour for it to work…beats jumper cables? Perhaps you should read the reviews…

These do not work! I been trying to charge a dead battery for 3 hours with no results LOL

I drive 2 hours to camp. I figure since the suv has two lighter outlets, I can charge the lawnmower battery on the way up, maybe even the boat battery? Time will tell whether or not I just wasted the wherewithall to stop at Arbies once this season on my way.

Don’t waste your time or your money on these. Use the right tool for this job. Jumper cables will do the job in 5 minutes. The likelihood of these working at all is very small.

this is like blowing up a balloon through thin coffee-stirrer-type straws… you have relatively thin wires going cigarette lighter to cigarette lighter AND then you are going through even thinner wires from the back of the lighter all the way back to the batteries…
I’m sure it works if you have the patience and time… it’s gotta take a while…

==============================================

A very lucid and concise analogy of the situation, which shows a very strong and clear thinker. To the above, I will add this…

(1) I agree that the charging car should be at a higher level to get the benefit of gravity, but you completely overlooked an important issue. The charging car must also face the back of the car which is being charged. The reason for this is that like poles repell and unlike poles attract. If both cars are facing each other, nothing happens.

(2) When you buy this equipment from Woot, make absolutely sure to remove any indication of the low price you paid. If you don’t do this, the equipment will feel cheap and maybe unwanted which would result in very poor performance for you.

I have a pacemaker, so these could be useful (I’m not supposed to use jumper cables).

In for none, however, on the less than stellar reviews - I don’t have an hour to jump a car…

what!? it takes 20-30 MINUTES to charge a battery enough to start the car. It takes like 5 to use jumper cables. Good luck finding someone who is willing to sit there that long.