ACDelco Plug-2-Go Car to Car Charging System – 2 Pack

Is it possible that these things have a
DC-DC converter in them? I was thinking of
using one of these to charge an RV battery from
the vehicle without the engine running.
does anyone know what’s inside these?

perhaps sorry driver in your example could LEARN how to use jumper cables correctly, even though he is apparently too cheap to buy a set, and then while observing the help-providing-and-equipped-but-not-too-bright-driver (or ‘spoon,’ per Woot), could correct the method. of course, this might lead to differences along the line of:
SPOON: well if you’re so smart, why dontcha use yer own dang cables? Whut? You don’t HAVE none? Well, ain’t that just too bad for you!

(at which point, mr spoon either gets back in his rig and roars off, leaving you S O L; or else he goes on to muse: “you’re hairier than a bear.” You best hope it’s the former, cuz I know if you got no cables, there’s no way you carry a crossbow.)

very tiny gerbils on very tiny gerbil wheels.

Perfect to put in your daughter’s kit bag to take off to college - yeah it will take a while, but the first time she calls in a panic because she left the flashers on in a no parking zone for a short 4 hours or so and you can reminder her to look under the seat for the battery charge-up device that is a no brainer to use - you will think this is a well spent couple of bucks.

No down here in Texas after it gets above 60deg the batteries just charge themselves…although you do need to open the hood so the battery can get the full affect of the heat.

Been jumping cars with the apropriate cables for years and never anything blown up burned or otherwise. It’s very simple + to + and - to - or red to red and black to black

Your rough calculation means nothing. There are so many variables that can affect your formula like other draws, ambient temperature, viscosity of engine oil, age of engine, compression etc. I say stay behind your keyboard and get road side assistance from AAA.

Remember that even with a bad battery but a good alternator, you can jump start a car and then keep it running (dont shut it off!). With this system, you can only eventually start the car if the battery is good, but just out of juice.

+1 to jump cables or those strong portable jump-start systems with those batteries they come with.

I’ve used these, and there is a trick to using them right.
The first thing you need to do is unwind and untangle them completely. Otherwise the electricity gets stuck in all the bends. This may seem to be a common sense kind of thing, but you would be surprised at the number of people I see trying to use wires that are tangled. Avoid cable ties at all costs. Those are the most lucrative snake oil products that have been produced in the past century. Yes, they make the wires more organized, but they create all kinds of bends and twists in the wire.
Another thing that you need to do (if at all possible) is to put the charging car (producing electricity) at a higher elevation than the dead car. This allows gravity to help move the electricity to the dead car.
If you are in a big hurry, try rubbing the length of the wire with fuzzy mittens or socks on your hands. Even though static electricity is not very strong, rubbing vigorously can shave as much as 10% off the charging time.
If you follow these tips, using this product should be safe, quick, and above all, fun!

Some of the comments by people about how they are jump starting vehicles concerned me enough to post.

NEVER jump start a vehicle by putting both jumper cables on the battery terminals, that can lead to fires, shorts, and damaged electronics.

Attach the black cable to the motor, frame of the car, anything with a good metal contact to the frame. That prevents it from slipping and hitting the positive jumper and makes a better connection.

Do not try to start the car with the weak battery after attaching the cables. Leave your car running about 10 minutes connected to the other car before you ever try to start the weak car. No matter how thick the cables are you are using , the connection points on both ends are so small and poor that proper current doesn’t flow straining both cars electronics if you try to start it through the cables. So you let the good car charge the weaker one for about 10 minutes. Now disconnect the cables from the weak car and try to start the car, if it was just the battery it should start.

Trying to use jumper cables as a link to use a good battery to start a weak one may work but it is safer to do the charge for 10 minutes, then crank method.

only if you used them to tie up the serial killer in your back seat.

On a “Snails Pace” mind you.
If you have that kind of time, fine,
Go For It!

Your way of thinking sure beats mine!
You must know alot more than my technical back ground.
Good for You
spread the word!!
Not!

I was going to use one of those sealed things on my car just two weeks ago when I had a dead battery, when I read in it’s manual where it said not to use it on cars with computerized systems or something like that. I put it back in the box and we jumped it using jumper cables. I’m assuming this thing may have the same warnings…

testing the test for the testicles

as a mechanic and owns one thinks they are terrible and blow more fuses than its worth

how many can you daisy chain together? if we have a woot convention, and we get more than 128 or 256 vehicles, can we generate enough electricity to power up a mainframe? these are questions that computer geeks need to know!

(FYI if you don’t know what daisy chain means, you aren’t from ole school tech, nor do you know what ring networking means)

My car has headlights on all the time when the key is turned, pulling up on the emergency brake will turn them off.

I don’t expect to ever use these for charging my car’s battery, but what about using these to charge a smaller 12V 7Ah battery with my car’s battery? I already have a cable I can plug this into to connect it to the smaller battery, but will it work well? Will I have to have my car running or will it not drain the car’s battery that much?

Exactly what I had in mind except for larger batteries. I use multiple batteries for a trailer and have had the battery run low far from anywhere with AC for a trickle charge. Maybe this has already been discussed, but I couldn’t make it through all of the rants about whose jump start technique is the best. (I’ve got at least three sets of jumper cables and can’t remember the last time I needed to use them).

I think this would be a convenient tool for charging the trailer battery from the car and the price is right. But then maybe I’m the only one on here that travels with a freezer full of meat. :smiley: