Acer Aspire 10.1" 6 Cell AOD-250 Netbook with Accessory Kit

so i can i ask what is so good about ubuntu?

Are those designs on the mouse, or is it just reflecting the flash distributors?

Or just boot from the included external DVD drive…

Hey CPU geeks this is a great deal. But be wise & use Square Trade 2 year warranty with coupon code SUPERBOWL20. This will provide full coverage for 2 entire years for less then 50 bucks. :slight_smile:

I bought this one last time, just got it a week or so ago. It was the AOD-250 1610. I think this is the same model because last time they offered it in red and white as well, and those sold out first.

Well, the battery isn’t being recognized by the computer. I called the third-party support and they had me reload the chipset driver. Didn’t work, so they are Fed-Ex-ing me a replacement battery at no cost with a pre-paid envelope for the bad battery. Unlike a previous wooter who commented I had no problem getting ahold of someone on the support line. Maybe waited on hold for 5 minutes…

The computer works great otherwise. I mainly use it for internet stuff and watching videos… no problems so far, though it isn’t as snappy as some may like. Hope this helps

I got this deal the last time they offered it (a few weeks ago) and it’s great. The accessories and battery look used but the netbook itself looks brand new with only one small scratch. Its very useful for school since I can bring it around with me without much extra weight.

The external dvd drive and the mouse work great. Can’t wait to dual boot it with Ubuntu netbook remix and upgrade the ram to 2GB :slight_smile:

We just started using the gear we bought from here last month. The wireless mouse’s usb dongle was missing, and there was no “carry case” as listed. The DVD drive seems stable, but you have to be REALLY careful with these Laptop-DVD drives. Also, there were 2 rotted out AAA batteries installed. The computer, though, works perfectly! Plays back Xvid streams without belching. For the $285 or so it ran, not a bad deal at-all! We’re going to pay it forward to my little girl to keep her from touching the main machines when she gets older. O; >

I seriously suggest folks that have NEVER used a screen this small, invest in a pair of magnified reading glasses to make it easier to set things up until you get used to things.

We have a USB keyboard and USB Mouse plugged into it (since the wireless dongle was missing), as well as a MagicJack unit, all on a 4-port USB hub. Everything works fine. Windows7 and 2gig expansion here we come! O; >

God Bless, KINJIRU

I bought the black one last time around, less than a month ago. To my suprise it came with integrated bluetooth. If you look at the pictures of the keyboard on the black, you can see the on off button for the bluetooth at the upper left to the left of the hdd light and caps and numlock buttons. The picture of the blue keyboard does not show the bluetooth button. Anyone who bought a different color than black last time this was up, did yours have integrated bluetooth???

My mouse was missing the battery door. I called the number on the paperwork for tech support. They said they are sending me out another accessory pack. If they come through that would be way cool. If they send just the mouse battery door I would be happy. So Call them!

I bought mine in black last time around and it does have bluetooth. I was surprised, I already own one and it does not have bluetooth.

I called tech support and got through in about 5 mins. They took care of my problem right away. Sorry to here of your bad experience

Just an FYI on the screen:

Be aware that the screen is glossy, not matte, so in bright environments, such as outside or in a well-lit room, it will appear mirror-like.

The upside is that the screen is a bit more durable because of the plastic covering over the LCD. Personally, I prefer matte screens, but to each his own. Happy wooting!

Got one in January. Showed up in about a week plus. BUT, the dongle for the mouse was missing. The vinyl case was gross with cat hair on the inside and yuck on the outside. Netbook and external drive had surface yuck and scratches. Some stuff cleaned right up. Overall condition was OK.

The external drive had two usb wires. when one or two were plugged in on the right side where there are two usb ports, it did not work. When only one was plugged into the single left side usb port it worked fine. Don’t know if that was another malfunction or if the two were not supposed to be powered for some reason??

The computer would start up but lock up with almost anything you did. I tried to eliminate bloat ware but it would freeze trying to get to the control panel. Then the start button would not even bring up the screen to shut it down. After about 4 hours of hard shutdowns etc. I bagged it.

Woot was excellent. Quick response and mailed it back to them the same day. I’m no tech guru but I have a Samsung netbook and know how to use them and I dont expect gaming speed. But waiting 20 minutes and can’t even use Cntrl, Alt, Delete to bring up the screen was not good.

I have had good luck with refurbs but this was a real bummer. I’m a bit afraid to order one now since some of these are obviously whooped.

I am currently typing this review on the netbook from this exact package that I bought a few weeks ago! Mine came in a great shape (a minor bit of silver paint rubbed off the hinge - no biggie) and now that I’ve got it all set up, I adore it.

The optical mouse is a HUGE plus, as the tiny touchpad makes one’s finger ache after awhile. I had an issue getting my netbook to connect to a particular wireless router, but after some fussing, the problem was solved and all was well. I’m also enjoying the webcam cababilities and amd discovering the joy of video calls through Skype. The battery life has been fantastic as well. Planning on upgrading to the 2GB RAM soon, but all in all, I think this is one heck of a deal. No regrets on my end of things.

On a purely cosmetic note, I got it in blue, and it looks sharp. It’s a subtle, deep royal/ light navy blue…quite pleasant and not flashy.

I have a better price - extremeonlinedeals.com, you do not get an accessory kit, but it’s $20.00 less with two colors to choose.

Bought 2 of them for Christmas presents, they work great and the battery life is excellent.

Twenty bucks less, more in shipping, no optical drive, no mouse, no case. How’s that a better deal there, spammer?

For those that have upgraded to 2Gb RAM was it a pull and replace? Or add another 1Gb? What were the specs of the RAM you purchased?

Additionally has anyone tried to swap out the hard drive for a SSD drive?

I dual-boot to Ubuntu (I can choose Win 7 or Ubuntu) and love it.

It’s free, upgrades to new versions are free, programs are almost always free and open source. But that’s true with almost all Linux distributions (like Fedora, SuSE, etc.). It comes with a complete office software package that’s MS Office compatible. It runs faster on most hardware.

Whether it’s “better” depends on your needs. And if you don’t know how to install an OS, you won’t want it. It helps to be a little above average in your PC skills to be happy with it, but many who are computer challenged find it to be easy to use.

With this netbook, you have Windows XP, which will no longer be supported by Microsoft in a couple of years or so. If you can find one of these with Windows 7, it might be a better buy for you, if you plan to keep it a long time.

To be fair, I like Windows 7 also. Both Ubuntu and Win 7 are fine operating systems. If you have an older computer that you won’t be using after getting a netbook, you could install Ubuntu on it and see for yourself why so many people like it, and why some don’t. And if you want to dual boot between it and Windows, try NeoSmart Easy BCD, but follow the directions carefully. The alternative is to use a tool fro Linux to overwrite your Windows boot sector and set up a dual boot system.

Needs the Atom 280 processor…still an ASUS fan…