Acer Aspire 10.1" 6 Cell Netbook with Accessory Kit

+/- RW means it records. Also see SuperDrive - Wikipedia

[QUOTE=chefbooyadee, post:20, topic:267540]

Still, it’s $50 a ultraportable DVD burner and a mouse with a nano-plug adapter, which isn’t bad.

(snip)

As KyserSoze pointed out, the description doesn’t say it’s a burner.

Anyone at WootStaff who can clarify?

You’re right, but I wouldn’t bet the farm on it. Maybe Woot only means that it plays RW discs.

Except it does, and DVD+R/DVD-R and dual layer DVDs at that.

Edit: Reference link: http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-One-Accessory-Kit/dp/B0026L7BP8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1263968233&sr=8-1

I’ve never known “Super” to be used for DVD drives except as to let you know it burns all (major) DVD formats.

How does this compare to the asus as far as durability, and quality of build?

Your dad’s may be different but the mouse in this offering clearly shows a USB dongle in the detail pictures. It is one of those tiny ones that probably allows you to leave the dongle in the usb port when putting the computer in a case. If your mouse is the same the dongle may be docked in the mouse or it may have gotten lost in the packaging-some of the mice with the “always in” style adapters have no provision for keeping the dongle with the mouse.

The accessory pack does make this a good deal. An external dvd burner is my only real want for my netbook, although wireless mice are good and you are correct that the case with this unit is more professional looking than the neoprene sleeves that we have and are common.

And for those that are asking, the optical drive is a burner capable of burning +/- R,RW DVD media. That’s what SuperMulti drives are - all formats. This one is dual layer capable too, not sure offhand if that’s part of the SuperMulti spec.

Thanks.

As the link says, Super-Multi means it burns.

chefbooyadee’s link confirms it’s USB.

USB - there’s a tiny, tiny plug that acts as the receiver (it’s in the photo). This netbook does not have Bluetooth.

…which is why I said you were right, but I’ve been “burned” before!

Well I was planning on getting either a Macbook or iMac next week should I get this instead LOL

The mouse that Woot is offering is USB, but you can use a Bluetooth mouse with a USB Bluetooth dongle. Kinda silly for the mouse, but I’ve used such a dongle on my Aspire One for Skyping.

if I didn’t just get an EeePC I would be in for this in a heartbeat. The accessories really make it worth it.

Try Ubuntu 9.10 netbook remix as an OS!!

Apologies for the long post:

It should work fine in terms of the system booting and stability. The only questionable parts will be sound and wireless. Atoms and 10.6.2 is a bit of a roadblock for newbies, but anything 10.6.1 or prior is a breeze.

Hit up insanelymac.com forums and read like crazy. If you’re desperate for OSX as quick as possible, try a ‘distro’ of OSX. If you want stability and knowledge of how it works, run a vanilla/retail install. If you have no clue what I’m talking about, read more before attempting. It’s also possible to run OSX from a USB HD with a performance hit, so if you’re the patient type, you can use an external to learn with before committing the internal disk to it.

However…the only major draws to OSX I have are for large screen space applications which netbooks cannot accommodate, and the Atom/carp GPU can barely handle anyways (I have a custom built hackintosh Atom nettop). I’ve also heard of problems with OSX not playing nicely below a vert. resolution of 768, which this doesn’t have. Also, while OSX will run with 1Gb of RAM, any heavy application multitasking will induce pageouts. I would recommend at least 2Gb to be happy with it.

If I were to own a netbook, I’d probably just use linux. It handles low CPU power, low resolution, low RAM situations much better and the install process is smoother and much easier, you also have to worry less about updates breaking everything.

If you do go with OSX, definitely keep a Time Machine backup disk. It is the hackintosher’s best friend. Once you know what you’re doing you can screw up your computer and revert to the backup state about as quick as USB 2.0 can transfer your data back to the primary disk. It is your safety net for playing with an OS while keeping it as your primary OS. Just keep a linux liveCD/thumbdrive around just in case (most will mount HFS+ filesystems for recovery, just not write to them)

It’s hard to tell about durability, since you need large numbers of customer reports as reliable data. But this LINK is the best I found, and the results are too close to call.

Personally, I chose the Acer for a variety of reasons. And I just recommended to a friend that he Woot this one.

had one for about a year, its still alive. the thing is it comes with waaaaay too many programs which slows it down. so you might want to either delete the extra nonsense or install a fresh copy of windows. also the usb optical drive sure it works if you want to install something but, it will be very slow. its processor isnt that powerful. as for playing a dvd i never even bothered trying because of how long it took for the little fella to read just a cd.
the only thing its good for really is putting in your bookbag and taking to lectures. it can run games as starcraft, diablo 1, nintendo and sega emulators. all ive tried so far.

Wow I bought a new netbook 3 days ago after not seeing one I like on here for the past few weeks. I like mine a lot, but I would have liked getting this one plus the accessories for cheaper. Oh well new is better than refurb anyways…

hmm…would this qualify for a Windows 7 upgrade? It says its coming with a XP Home

I bought this exact same bundle from Costco for $400 last summer. It was a good deal then and it’s a great deal now.

The mouse is USB but wireless and the actual USB part only sticks out a cm or two from the laptop - I leave it in permanently, even in the case.

The 6 cell battery gives me about 4-6 hours of battery life depending on what I’m playing, and the CD/DVD drive is invaluable.

I upgraded to Windows 7 which runs great on it. I use it mostly as a portable homework machine but it does run many of my games as well. For instance, I installed Morrowind and can play basically maxed.