Acer Aspire 10.1" 6 Cell Netbook with Accessory Kit

A great bundle got this same deal for valentine’s for the wife, she loves it. Mouse’s USB dongle is super tiny, it fits inside the mouse’s battery pack, so far we haven’t had any problems, would strongly recommend this to anyone looking for a netbook.

So,those who know, how does it compare to this…

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=5611895&sku=T78-10120

Not that great of a deal considering you can get a brand new one for $277 with free shipping at http://dealnews.com/Acer-Aspire-One-Intel-Atom-1.66-GHz-10-Netbook-for-277-free-shipping/359622.html/. I am not sure the dvd drive and mouse justify the fact that this refurbished and costs $7 more with shipping. Especially considering you can get a decent wireless mouse for about $12 and I have seen portable DVD drives for $30 or so on sale. If anything this is an average deal but not a Woot deal.

One advantage of the 10.1" Aspire Ones (as opposed to the 8.9") is that you don’t have to worry about the speaker/hard drive problem that plagued some of the smaller units:

design flaw

According to Gizmodo, NO!!!In fact, their quote was quite interesting: “What you sacrifice: Virtually everything, including the biggest dealbreaker of them all: Wi-Fi. Lots of netbooks don’t work, but I wanted to include this one as an example: Just because a netbook is wildly popular and bolstered by a huge community of support forums doesn’t mean that Hackintosh will eventually work. Some hardware and software issues are just beyond the hobbyists’ purview, so don’t buy a netbook with the hopes that issues will be resolved.”

See the list here:

Bought one of these last time they were up (but with the 3cell battery). I love the computer! Great for browsing the web and playing games on work breaks. Keyboard is slightly cramped for my large hands, but is actually very good compared to other netbooks I’ve typed with (9" EeePC I can’t type on at all, for example).

Highly recommend, and the 6cell is just awesome. Totally jealous.

As long as you don’t have several other applications open (a browser with 10 tabs, your virus software running, etc.) this will handle word processing just fine.

I would suggest upgrading this to 2gb of RAM immediately. I would also suggest running Ubuntu or some other distro of linux. I bought one of these awhile ago from woot and XP on it was a huge resource hog. I think I kept XP on it for about a day, then loaded up the ubuntu netbook version

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download-netbook

Samsung doesn’t make a netbook newer than an N450, AFAIK. Twice as expensive? How embarrassing for you.

The amount of memory and the amount of hard drive space are two totally different things. If your netbook came with an SSD hard drive it may only be around 8Gb and could possibly be full after installing M$ Office. Open Office openoffice.org is a much smaller program and quite good (free too). If you really do need more memory most netbooks will handle up to 2 Gb. I bought this one around Christmas and upgraded to 2Gb and am quite happy with it.

Well lets see:

Toshiba netbooks are comparable if not better in terms of quality, it has a bigger harddrive (250 vs. 160), its has bluetooth, comes with Windows 7 instead of XP, and is brand new versus refurbished. It’s better in every respect except for it doesn’t come with crappy little extras like mouse, DVD drive, sleeve which are all really cheap to pick up separately.

@kokigami
Link is to a Toshiba Mini NB205-N330BL Netbook
Intel Atom N280, 1GB DDR2, 250GB HDD, 10.1" screen,
1024x600,Windows 7 Starter, Bluetooth, 6-Cell, Blue

Looks like the big differences are:

Woot! deal: Refurb, 160 HDD, WinXP, Accessories kit (DVD), 945 vid chipset.
Toshiba deal is: New, 250GB HDD, G950 vid chipset, and Win7.

IMHO, the Toshiba deal at TigerDirect is the better deal. Sorry Woot! Gotta call it like I sees it.

That’s not to say it isn’t a good deal, just that the Toshiba is a better one by a little bit.

here’s a previous woot

No, you would be quite smart.

Not sure if it’s already been answered, but a netbook offers less weight, much smaller size, and much longer battery life.

I would be hard pressed to find a laptop that is under 3 lbs, lasts over 10 hours, and could easily fit in my man bag or fiancee’s purse for under $300, like my Asus eee. I love this machine!

YouTube search for “wifi receiver antenna”.

You are totally correct. The performance boost you would see with Linux would be quite noticeable.

Like everything else the answer depends. If all you want is surfing the net and email with a few light use applications like skype, IRC or word processing the netbooks are great. Not a good idea to make it your everyday work PC, spreadsheets in particular rather blow on a 10" screen, but for normal home use and travel use they are fine.

If you travel a lot and like to take your own PC with you netbooks are great. Carrying a full size laptop through the airport repeatedly is no fun, and being larger they attract more banging and bumping. A minimal laptop probably won’t be built too well so the bumping and banging will show up pretty quickly. If you rarely travel and are only likely to move your PC from room to room at home with maybe one trip a year somewhere else. A normal Laptop will likely be better for you.

Specifically A bigger minimal laptop will do a better, or at least more convenient, job of playing DVDs.

Neither this nor a minimal Laptop will do you much good for gaming. Then again PC gaming is nearly dead except for World of Warcraft and either this netbook or a minimal laptop will play solo stuff in Wow…usually… between 12 and 25 FpS

follow up question then. Looking at the acer aspire linked above at deal news, is an N450 a big boon over an N280? The acer has a 160 hard drive. I am not too concerned about OS, as I would probably install ubuntu… But dual boot might be nice too…

that link for convenience…
http://dealnews.com/Acer-Aspire-One-Intel-Atom-1.66-GHz-10-Netbook-for-277-free-shipping/359622.html/

bought the 3 cell at christmas time and I love it!! works great for surfing and homework!!