Acer Aspire Athlon 64 Desktop Computer

Yeah, you can see in the big picture the 15-pin D-sub video connector is integrated on the motherboard. No PCIe or AGP graphics card installed. Plus, if the picture is accurate, it looks like there might be a PCI modem installed.

According to the Acer Aspire T180 spec on the Acer support page, it’s an integrated nVidia MCP61 chipset.

<http://www.acerpanam.com/synapse/forms/portal20.cfm?recordid=478&formid=3404&website=AcerPanAm.com/us&siteid=7293&words=all&keywords=&areaid=7&gt;

Plus, with an “industry standard” 250W PSU, you’re not going to be able to but much more than a 7600/x1600 series graphics card in there anyhow. Does anybody know if that little PSU has a PCI-E connection?

I stopped reading at Acer.

While you might find more at dell for $300, this woot is under $250

Or check the Dell outlet and you’ll find boxes with even better features than this one (newer processors, bigger HD, as much or more RAM and a better PSU) for $249 or less.
At say, $189…maybe this would be a deal.

Those Dell Outlet Refurbs don’t include the flat panel monitor in that $509 price tag, you have to add that on for an additional $145 (or more) for a refurb monitor. So your suggestions wouldn’t quite work.

Be sure to have XP ready to install so it will actually run!!

At present, there is not a single refurb Dell listed in the Outlet site “for $249 or less.” The least expensive Optiplex desktop is $299 and the least expensive of the Vostros is $509. If you guys are going to say this stuff and trash the deal, at least give some accurate info.

Thanks.

Check the Inspiron Desktops at the Home part of the Outlet and get back with me, huh?

I won’t buy from Acer ever again. I bought a $1000 media center Aspire September 06. Died October 19, 2007. Mobo/processor just died. My roomate about 6 months earlier kicked my surge protector shutting off the computer. Computer wouldn’t turn back on in anything but safe mode. Had to reformat. Overall, crappy computer.

I also have an Acer laptop which has the worst cooling system in the world. Granted it got clogged with a little dust, but the way it is setup, you can’t see when it gets clogged with dust. End result was the computer was idling at roughly 65-70C and got up to 80C doing just about anything. Cleaned it out and went back down to around 40-50*C but the way things are setup it was absolutely ridiculous.

Overall, I’d suggest passing on this system. It has the same mobo and processor as mine did.

Ohhhh, I forgot to mention the computer didn’t come with the proper drivers to use Windows Media Center. It took me about 2-3 days to figure out the issue. Ended up being the wrong processor driver. Overall, computer was a complete let down.

Not to mention dell sucks. I have more problems with dells then any other brand! Go HP or Acer.

you know what? If you want a real machine go Mac. They kill PCs any day. Its worth paying extra for trust me.

what are all you guys complaining about. you would think they are asking 500-600. for a basic surfing the internet/ word processing/photo editing puter, it is a great buy at $249 shipped.

any self respecting gamer or HD AV enthusiast would custom build their own because it would cost you less after you repaced the OS, power supply, ram, motherboard, cpu, 8800/3850 add on card, gaming keyboard.

for a basic pc, this isn’t bad

I’ve never had a problem with my Dell. Almost 6 years and finally time to upgrade. Reusing some parts and building a Precision dual Xeon 3.4 Ghz 2MB Cache for a little over $500 on ebay. Hopefully I will get another 6 years.

I’ve had a Dell P3 running more or less non-stop since 2001 without any problems. My parents still use the same Compaq desktop they purchased in '98.

I would never buy a [any computer manufacturer]! I only trust [any computer manufacturer]!

Use what works for you.

my Dell lap top sucks like you wouldn’t believe… The battery lasted less than a year, which I guess is not uncommon. Now I have to go buy a new one for like 200 or so bucks. Completely ridiculous. My friend has had his toshiba for nearly 4 years, and gets like an hour out of it. What the heck.

Cool, I’ll spend $1000 on a mac instead of $250 on a pc. Thanks for the sage advice!

By the way, the next time you’re looking for a house or a car, take your own advice and go buy something that’s four times the price.

I think that Woot doesn’t have a good handle on their audience if they think that people will buy this and then spend the money to put in a better graphics card so that it can handle Vista. A much better idea is to install an operating system which doesn’t have stupid requirements. Preferably a free one.

Got one when it was on regular woot, I added 2 more gig and a new video card and this thing rox!