Acer Aspire One 10.1" 6 Cell Netbook

That’s only for an upgrade license from vista

I bought one at COSTCO for $299.00 It’s a good deal!! I love mine. No Bluetooth though. Oh, mine has 7 starter on it. I might have preferred Vista Premium, but not Home, so I am good. The mouse is a little quirky, but all in all a great little machine. Battery lasts quite a while :slight_smile:

I bought same one on woot last year at same price during a wootoff. Also noticed that can’t stream HD video (choppy, slow, sound faster than picture), and sometimes has trouble with youtube. However, it is super light and works just great for wi-fi internet surfing, light word processing, picture viewing, and it has a super long batter life (5-8 hours depending on how bright the monitor is set). Not a bad little computer for the price. My wife loves it (which was who I really bought it for).

Anyone recommend a good powerful cheap netbook with hdmi? I know good / powerful and cheap are kinda counterintuitive. I need a workhorse strictly for work, mainly power point, word, email, basic photoshop and and the mp3s. I guess I can live without the HDMI, but is this thing too small to work off of as an everyday work computer?

anyone know if it comes with Word, excel, ect?

Got the Gateway-branded twin of this a couple weeks back for a buddy of mine. He asked me to hang onto it for a few days, and go through everything making sure it’s working OK.***** Among other things, I tried Hulu. As long as you keep it to 360p and don’t go fullscreen on anything larger than 800x600, it does ok. So I’d say it’s borderline for Hulu, and youtube was absolutely fine.

*****To me, this request makes no sense – it’s like he got on one of those russian pseudo-mail-order-bride sites and met a girl, and asked me to pick her up at the airport. “Oh, and she’s supposed to be a virgin (though in this case, more like a refirgin?), so why don’t you just take her home for the night and get her broke in?”

Naturally, as in that case, though I don’t quite understand the reason, I’m all too happy to comply.

Have it. Love it. 6 cell is wonderful. Upgrade the RAM to 2GB ($30), upgrade the wifi firmware (5 minutes), buy a bluetooth adapter ($20, you can find these for $5 but I wanted one that guaranteed stereo bluetooth compatibility) I listen to iTunes on my stereo bluetooth headset, use my bluetooth mouse ($10) and do my homework for at least 4-5 hours while getting distracted by youtube and hulu. Stash it all in a $10 laptop bag. Still under $300 (299.99)

ftw

It does not come with any Microsoft Office products.

I’ve had one for a year.

Here’s what I think is good:

1. I prop it up on the stationary bike and watch my slingbox every night.
  2. or I watch a movie on Netflix (with no streaming issues)
  3. its little and light and I keep it on the endtable where I can pick it up anytime.
  4. it’ll drive multiple monitors
  5. I’m actually able to use Photoshop on it if I don’t try something too ambitious.
  6. the keyboard is easy to type on once you get used to it.
  7. the webcam works great
  8. I rip movies to the hard drive and watch while I’m waiting in the airport
  9. 5 to 6 hours battery life

Here’s what I think is bad about it:

1. vertical resolution is only 600 pixels making some web pages hard to view and some programs uninstallable
  2. it makes me lazy because I don’t have to get out of my lazyboy and use the desktop

Be sure to upgrade to 2GB of RAM asap. And of course, you’ll need an external optical drive.

Shipping Update
Acer Aspire One 10.1; 6 Cell Netbook has completely shipped via FedEx Ground. All tracking has been emailed to members who purchased this item. If you would like to find your tracking information sooner, please click the following link and use your ORDER NUMBER as the reference number.

FEDEX TRACKING

BONUS! The Blue one I received had Bluetooth on-board, even though the description didn’t say it would come with it. Sweet.

After creating the reinstall disks (you need an external CD/DVD writer), I reformatted the puppy and put Windows 7 Ultimate on it.

Win 7 has all the drivers this needs built in. The only thing I installed from the Acer site was the touch-pad software-> The MS drivers didn’t do gestures, while the Synaptics drivers from the site do.

So, how is it with Win 7?

It runs GREAT. Comes up with a 2.1 Windows score (due to the Atom processor), and it runs Aero fine.

I also installed Office 2007 Ultimate, Fox-It PDF viewer, and Microsoft Security Essentials all without a problem.

My client is going to be tickled pink (or blue as the case may be)!