Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook with Windows 7 Starter

Im looking for a new computer … Is this one worth the price?

Nice little laptop BUT be careful it only has Windows 7 STARTER this is like as baseline of an OS as you can get, it just runs that’s about it, you can’t even change the desktop wallpaper…

The list of what it has is shorter than the list it doesn’t have.

This doesn’t include Aero, Windows Media Player, network printing and a ton of other stuff.

I would recommend slapping in a different version of 7 or XP if you are going to use this for anything more than just IM’ing or Web Browsing.

However, since it is just a little laptop for on the go stuff, the Starter edition might be fine for you, just look into it first so you know what you are getting.

For those who will ask about Hackintosh
Bluetooth ???
Wireless NO
Ethernet NO
USB yes
Sound yes
Audio I/O yes
QE/CI yes
Video out ???
Trackpad yes
Sleep NO
Power Mgt Yes
Card Reader Yes

So, it can be made to work, but without any kind of network, why bother?

Source: Loading...

Update: if you are willing to hack open the unit and replace the wireless card inside: Take a Dell 1505 Wireless N Card, rip apart the net-book, and swap in that card. Low and behold, you have a functional Mac NetBook. Sadly, they cost around $100!!!

So if you can find that wireless card, and are willing to operate, this could move to a maybe on Hackintosh.

It kind of defeats one of the main draws of netbooks when they only have a 3 cell battery, and a seemingly low capacity one at that.

2 hours of battery life? You can find full size laptops, un-refurbed, for around $400 with more battery life. And better specs in every way, other than weight/size.

Ah, true true.
In general though, Win7 is better than XP

It is refurbished. Which means the history is in question and it has certainly been serviced, take that as you will. YMMV.

Windows 7 is far better than XP.
Tell me an area, and I’ll tell you how it’s better.
See here, for example
Features new to Windows 7

I know that most netbooks support 2gb, but I can’t attest for this particular model. I haven’t seen a 1.5 gb ram stick, though.

Since I have that, yes :).

3 cell battery? you’ve got to be kidding.

I actually need a new netbook right now, but i think i’ll hold out for the regular, 8-cell XP acer netbooks that woot sells.

The netbook was pretty much made for someone who doesn’t need a laptop because they already have a desktop, but still want a small computer on the fly. with my 8-cell, i don’t have to carry my charger on campus, but with only 2 hours of battery life, a netbook seems pretty pointless, unless you plan on being within 6 feet of an outlet for the majority of your day.

Windows Media CENTER is not included, but I’m not sure why you would want to use this as an HTPC.

Basically, the only feature removed is the ability to change the wallpaper. You can’t run 2 monitors at the same time, but this is a netbook.

The vast majority of the features in that table are enterprise grade features a home user doesn’t know exists. Do you know what Software Restriction Policies are? What about Federated Search? These are all useless to home users.

What is there to do with a computer other than IM’in and web browsing - especially on a netbook? =\

There is nothing wrong with Windows 7 Starter.

Agreed. Windows Snap is a MUST for dual monitors.

Also, hello antler buddy!

3cell battery would be acceptable is this was the new, more power-efficient Pinetrail N450 – but it’s the old, more power-hungry N270. Battery life’s going to suck, so if that’s something that’s important to you, I’d definitely pass on this thing.

Windows 7 is, Windows 7 Starter probably isn’t.

Win 7 Starter is not that bad. The biggest thing you are going to miss not being able to change the background and personally I don’t really care that much.

A netbook can be handy at times. But Windows 7 Starter and the three cell battery kill this one for me. I would choose Windows XP and a six cell battery over this one.

Ok, please explain why.

And by the time you get all of that, you could have purchased a brand new, non-refurbished netbook with much better specs.

However Win 7 Starter doesn’t support multiple monitors.

Define better?
It’s definitely better than Vista. Is it better than XP? Well it has some new features and it’s prettier, but if you’re already running XP then it’s probably not worth the upgrade. If it’s a new box with 2G or more I would highly recommend Windows 7.

Sorry, while the colors are cool, the battery is a deal breaker at this price AND refurbished.

Best reason for getting a netbook is weight and battery life. That battery kills it.

I love my little netbook and can’t imagine going back to a full laptop. But the battery is a big part of it. I’ve watched 2 full movies on mine (6 cell).

Regardless, don’t think the is a smoking deal.