Acer Aspire One Ultra Portable Notebook

Linux OS means it’s not using Windows XP or Vista, right?

Dont buy. Staples has another 9" acer that has 120gb hardrive and good ole windows XP for just $349.00

…LIKE VISTA??? if it had vista, it would be worth the 300 bananas or whatever those republican wootinizers are charging over there in vietnam or wherever these crack filled packages come from!!!

Wow. Too bad I already bought an AOA150-1447 for $270 :wink:. These machines are cutting-edge portable, anyone looking for a versatile UMP should look no further. Acer FTW!

no you wouldn’t

Oh that’s cool, I was to buy one of these, but I’m going in with the XP version, it has a better battery.

Any one interested in this should check:

and:

little summary:
cheapest Atom subnotebook; but! lack of upgrades:
to upgrade the ram (to 1.5gb max) you have to dissasemble it all. The SSD is in IDE and this model doesn’t come with the SATA soldered on. You will need to do some radical changes to put in a HD (in this model).
The SSD, there is 2 versions of it, Samsung and Intel, the intel have been reported to be slower. On the bottom, there a pci-e cover, but no pci-e connector inside.

Hope this help a litte
-Vincent

Excellent machine1 I just bought an XP version at Walmart last week for $328.00

I’ve used the OpenOffice suite extensively, especially the word processor, and it’s great… possibly the best deal in open-source software that there is (it’s a free download). No doubt you could transfer work done on this little machine with OpenOffice to the corresponding Microsoft applications on your Windows PC. All that being said, I would rather spend a little more and get a notebook running XP or VistaCarp with a DVD drive and a proper screen.

Pretty good CNET review, but it slams the battery life (2 hours).

A newer version with 1 gig and XP is only $349 with free shipping at Newegg. No deals here.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115499

Agent1

same one but with XP on is tigerdirect for $389

Good reviews at newegg: http://tinyurl.com/5pnyfo
and Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Acer-8-9-inch-Processor-Battery-Sapphire/dp/B001EYV9TM/

I am so throwing the pre-beta of Windows 7 on this bad boy… just as soon as I up the ram a bit.

We got one of the 6 Cell kind from another retailer for 100 more. I have never been more pleased with a purchase. Compared to the EEEs, Acer’s build is a bit stronger. The keyboard is a tiny bit bigger also which is bare minimum for comfortable typing. It came with XP and a 160 gig drive. Still think I am going to woot tonight! How about one to leave in a vehicle for travel?

If only this didn’t have the SSD, I would totally buy. Sadly I’m no fan of the performance of the SSD vs regular old HDD. Plus having more storage means I could dual boot XP & Ubuntu!!!

Would’ve had me if it was the 160GB version.

The 12" powerbook is one of the greatest machines ever. It is easily one of the best highly portable computers, and was also very powerful. When I was in college I edited at 15 minute hd movie on one for my final project. Grant it, it wasn’t as fast as a Mac Pro, but it easily got the job done in Final Cut Pro.

These are so cute!

I’ve heard these machines are great for browsing around online and chatting when you’re playing full screen games on another machine. Also, a coworker of mine got one of these and loves the Linux OS it comes with. He’d never used it before getting the machine (it’s either the same or similar to this one) and was blown away by how easy it was for him to use it.

I’m getting my new HP TX2500Z Tuesday or Wednesday-ish, I can’t wait!! New laptops are so much fun! (and so happy to be getting rid of this monstrous Dell 9100…) :slight_smile: YAY!

Wow, I’m impressed. I emailed Woot a couple weeks ago after the Woot-Off and mentioned that they should look into selling netbooks like the Aspire One or the upcoming Samsung NC10. I don’t know if the Woot Gods have smiled upon me or this is just a coincidence but my respect for Woot customer service goes up a few notches regardless hahah.

Just fyi for those who don’t get what this is “for” – it’s basically a super light internet machine / typewriter; ie it’s designed for on-the-go internet or word processing or whatnot … it’s a good mobile notetaker for students or just something really portable for people who don’t want to shell out -$2-3K for a Vaio TZ or something. It’s sufficient to do the two things most people use their laptops for – internet and work. The Atom is bleh in terms of processing power but is low-voltage and allows for longer battery life. It’s not like it can’t function as a (slightly subpar) normal laptop if you really want it to, but that’s not what it’s designed to be.

That being said, I’m really torn because a 3 cell is a dealbreaker for pretty much all the netbooks out there and there IS an Aspire One with a 6 cell … and the NC10 is just around the corner so I’m disinclined to buy this =/ I feel a little ungrateful after I asked for it and it showed up, but hopefully this’ll be the start of a trend. I would snatch the NC10 in a second if it showed up on Woot.

pale in comparison to my hp2133, and no way i’d run windows, custom kernel FTW