Acer Aspire One Ultra Portable Notebook

I have the 1gig RAM / 120gig HD + WinXP version. Excellent Netbook. Yes, upgrading is a little tougher than a normal notebook, but the WinXP version has SATA. So look out 7200rpm drive. The only downside is the 3-cell batt gives you about 2hrs of solid computing.

This version, I do not recommend. SSD is slow in this. The Linux distro isn’t anything to cream over. This is a web-surfing only system really.

Yes, you can make it a Hackintosh. Yes, you can convert the SSD to a CF drive. Yes, you can max out the RAM at 1.5gig for about $12 now. Yes, with Windows, you can play older games on this thing (Serious Sam, GTA3, Quake…).

This is a good deal… TigerDirect.com has the exact same thing for exactly $100 more…

You can install Windows or Mac OS on top of Linux if you would want, but since this is more of a Ultra-Portable quick-use laptop than a desktop-replacement, it would be better not to in order to keep the speeds up. Has OpenOffice and you can run Firefox on it, and many 3rd party apps as well if you want. VERY light and functional…

I’d get one or two if I had my old job still, and the other would go to my Mom for her kitchen to look up recipies online or to share movies/pictures with guests instead of going to the cramped computer room.

I’d strongly recommend this if you travel a lot: install Microsoft Streets and Trips on it, and it’s cheaper and easier to use than the little sat-nav/GPS navigation items, and faster as well, with the added convenience of a light small computer.

…Maybe…

Also, adding ram voids the warranty, but what exactly type of ram will this take?

Get an external…?

Two days ago I got the 1GB/120GB XP version at Costco B&M for $350. It’s not a desktop replacement…that’s why they call this category “Netbooks”. I’d rather take this on holiday to track email than my 12" Dell XPS. The screen is quite usable given the size constraints.

I have one of this.
Except it’s xp version (Cost me $400 1 month ago)
with regular 120GB HD
and 1GB RAM.
This thing is hard to upgrade! in order to upgrade the RAM, I have to remove over 12 screws (includes 2 of them hidden!) and in the process. I almost broke the cover !
However. I have to say thing thing is the best among all netbooks. (Had the other netbook before and returned the other one)

This is light, runs my MS Office and surf the web just fine…

I know someone is going to complain about crappy vidoe card …but who the heck in their right mind will play Halo on a 9" screen!!! Beside, I can watch MTV clips, and WMV Movies just fine. (no lags or freezes)

And yes, this thing is a babe magnet …seriously…Whenever I want to sit down to do some works on this…I will get girls come over and try to take a closer look with it and play with it…

Even the guy who paid $1700 for his Mac come over try to play with this netbook and find it just as fast as his mac…(for running internet surfing and office suites)

plug in a USB DVD drive maybe?

sata doesn’t mean 7200 rpm

I love my eee 901, though it costs more than this.

Guys, quit talking about how 1024x600 is “worthless” or “why don’t yout get a real laptop you can do work on?”

1024x600 is not worthless on a 9" screen; you really think you could read text at 1920x1200 on a 9" lcd? You can browse any well-made web page without scrolling and work fine on documents and spreadsheets. The Atom proc is good enough to watch good DVD quality video, including Netflix On Demand if you throw XP on the thing. And of course you should also get a real computer you can work on and play games on, etc; that’s obvious.

What your netbook is good for is productive portability. You can carry this in a purse, or a small messenger bag. 2.2 lbs is nothing, you’ll barely notice it. You can take it ANYWHERE, without thinking. They boot up and are ready to be productive in under a minute. Fire it up while you’re waiting at the doctor’s office and do some writing. Copy your favorite show over to it and watch for 10 minutes. Do a little browsing anywhere you can find wireless. Whip it out at the coffee shop and watch attractive people of the opposite sex come investigate it.

If none of that sounds like stuff you’d do if you had a computer smaller than a hardback novel, that’s not the computer’s fault, that’s you being boring. Netbooks are sweet.

Here’s a user forum for people with the Aspire One series laptops. Looks like it has a lot of good info, including some good hacks:

Where in the heckz can i get those army men! I need protection against the neighborhood tali ban!

Is it possible to add XP Pro on this laptop?

seems like a perfectly good machine if all you want is something light for on-the-go internet and whatnot.

but what’s the use of a recovery dvd for a machine that has no dvd drive?

wouldn’t an sd recovery drive have made more sense?

For a comparison, my main notebook has been a Dell 700m 12" for years. The Aspire One XP version is a better, faster machine. Benchmark one and find out.

The Dell Mini 9 is smaller, has a crappy keyboard and doesn’t come with a SATA drive. The HP is solid, but is over priced in comparison. At this pricepoint, Acer makes the best Netbook.

The main thing that the Aspire One has over the EEE for me is the keyboard. This has a really nice keyboard for a netbook.

For what it’s worth, I bought the Dell Mini which is really only comparable by size and I love it. It’s the greatest thing i’ve ever bought. I keep it in my car 24/7 so I have it with me all the time…LOVE IT, dont let this size scare you, I’m a fairly large handed guy (you know what that means) and I have no problems

I agree with earlier post re:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115499

Better deal and can run XP or LINUX… ect.

You’re declaring a mac to be one of the greatest machines ever. That in and of itself is a fallacy. Ever hasn’t happened yet, and I wouldn’t put any mac computer product in that category…
Other than that, kudos. I’d rather have this though, if only to not buy into the whole “cult of personality” mac owners love to engulf themselves into… Ugh… (I say that as a former mac owner - 14 of 'em - and saw where the company and trend was going, and went elsewhere, thankfully)

Posting this from my eee pc 900…

So, not for me. Not bad, but needs more memory & drive space. Not really worth it.

Having SATA means being able to add a 7200 rpm drive ya snarky f$ck.