Acer Aspire V5 UltraThin 14" Laptop

You are unwrong because I agree with you.

laptops in general can’t replace graphics card, especially ultrabook-esque ones where size is a limitation. this laptop doesn’t actually even have a dedicated graphics card, just integrated graphics. for autocad, steer clear because that’s pretty cpu/gpu intensive (even basic stuff). for a little more, pick up something with a little more power, unless he’s just going to be using this for taking notes in class :slight_smile:

Just fixed that. Try again.

Hey all, I deleted some posts about the Windows 8 hate. I think you’ve beat that horse dead. Let’s focus on the computer. New computers come with Windows 8 and we (Woot) aren’t going to be able to change that.

A lot of the comments here seem to be trying to compare this Woot to a $500 Intel i5 laptop. This laptop is less than $300.

Another perspective: netbooks were pretty popular before tablets came out. A lot of folks were paying $250-300 for netbooks.

This Woot blows away those netbooks - full operating system, 14 inch screen, full sized keyboard, internal DVD drive, usable size hard drive, etc…

The specs of this laptop are fine for email, web-browsing, and YouTube.

Please stop with the faddish Win8 bashing - it’s here, it works fine with a free start menu plug in and Win8.1 is about to be released with the Start menu and desktop available.

Fear not! This was a special purchase for a large business so you won’t find retail listings for it. Your closest comp would be Wal-Mart’s V5-431-4689. Same specs, different color.

Now, go search thee for info.

Actually, there is something you could do about it. But you won’t. :slight_smile:

ANyway, I just wanted to apologize because as I was writing the below post you were deleting WIN8 posts. Mine however is not just bashing, it is enumerating actual reasons and providing justification. So maybe you will keep it, as it actually provides useful information regarding the unit you are selling.

Funny, I had to look at it twice before I realized it was an Acer. I was confused because I mistook it for a Macbook Air

I can’t bring back deleted posts. If you want to rework it to focus on the product itself, feel free to repost.

For those that want their “Start” button back and booting straight to the desktop, try “Classic Shell” located here. It’s free: http://www.classicshell.net. Will bring back some of the comfort. The Windows 8.1 upgrade is suppose to bring it back. That’s in Beta currently.

I do think win 8 works SLIGHTLY better with a touch screen. but it’s hardly a deal breaker. And the instant on is actually pretty nice.

I was messing around with the Core i3 version of this shell and it’s not a bad machine. A little too much chassis and keyboard flex for my liking so I passed on the i3, but for $279 I imagine this is a good deal. I thought the screen looked a little washed out on the i3 model. Maybe it was only that particular one though. IDK. $279 sure buys a lot more now than it used to huh?

Lobster! Cookie!

YEEEEESSSSSSSS!

Hear! Hear! Well said!

Micro-BGA packaging (as the 987 is) almost certainly implies the part in question (this processor) is surface mounted (soldered) onto the board. So, not the only way to “upgrade” is to swap out the entire main board.

Sorry.

I am interested in buying same computer like you bought from Staples for $300 + rebate $50 but I cannot find online. Can you please provide me a link.

Thanks

Here’s something to compare it to for value. Per dealnews.

Fry’s Electronics offers the ASUS Intel Celeron 1.5GHz 15.6" LED-Backlit Laptop, model no. X502CA-RB01, for $268. Opt for in-store pickup to dodge the $10.79 shipping fee. That’s $62 less than the best price we could find elsewhere and among the lowest prices we’ve seen for any ASUS 15.6" laptop with 4GB of RAM and Windows 8. It features an Intel Celeron 1007U 1.5GHz dual-core processor, 15.6" 1366x768 LED-backlit LCD, 4GB RAM, 320GB hard drive, 802.11n wireless, USB 3.0, HDMI, 3-megapixel webcam, 2-cell battery, and Windows 8 64-bit.

Additional nice feature about this Woot laptop - 14 inch screen size is more portable than the more mainstream, higher volume 15/16 inch models.

And 14 inch models often have a price premium over those 15/16 inch models.

If you hanker for compact and inexpensive, then this Woot looks like a good match.

I want to get this for my husband. His 5.5yr old laptop is fried. He’s a writer, and he needs it to word process, stroe photos, and play Facebook games. You answered my question as to if this can do that!

Celeron processor is very slow.

2-cell battery seems a little light on a laptop even though both of these laptops only have 17 watt processors. Today’s woot has a 4-cell battery. Plus the laptop you mentioned has a bigger screen, which in most circumstances would mean that it’s using more power overall- hard to justify a 2-cell battery.