Acer Athlon 64 3800+ Desktop Computer

We use some at work. Ok machines for the money. Nothing fantastic, but not as bad as people remember them from years past. The machine would be much more solid than the OS. :wink:

Think Different ā€“ an interesting juxtaposition, seeing as how the item is for a Vista PC

ThinkGeek?

vista + 1 gig RAM = Epic Fail

Is this computer good for gaming?

If I got this, I would put another hard drive in, and install XP, and dual boot between OSā€™s.

I donā€™t think the computer will get past the boot screen running only 1 gb of ram.

You will need every bit of 3 IF NOT 4 gb of ram to make this machine run.

Vistaā€™s a good OS, unless youā€™re a wimp.

ThinkDell ?

why does it always seem these deals are without monitors :frowning: I CAN NO SEE MY SOLITARE IF I HAS NO SCREEN PICTURE VIEWER!

Iā€™m gonna buy one

Iā€™ve had my refurbā€™d Acer since April of last year. Seems to still be working fine. Donā€™t think Iā€™d like Vista, though. Iā€™ve heard from way too many people about problems with Vista.

In a bit, someone is going to post a message to this forum, claiming they can build a better PC than this one for less money. A flaming gaming water-cooled PC with racing stripes, no less.

The reality is that most people donā€™t want or need a flaming gaming PC. All they want to do is read their email at home or finish working on a document they started at work that day. Maybe the kids need to do some homework assignments. This computer would probably meet the basic needs of a typical person or family. Itā€™s not the fastest or the biggest monster truck on the block. Itā€™s an Acer Athlon Desktop Computer.

I saw this and thought ā€œGreat deal!ā€ ā€¦ Then I saw Vista was on it. I was going to suggest it to a friend, but Iā€™ll have to wait and have him buy something preferably without vista.

Just curious, what is wrong with Vista? Iā€™m still using XP Proā€¦

ā€œTaiwan-based Acer acquired Gateway last fall in a $710 million deal that created the worldā€™s third-largest manufacturer of personal computersā€

VISTA requires at least 2GB RAM. I would avoid this until price goes down even more.

No.

Why? No discreet graphics. Any computer under $700 wonā€™t have good enough graphics for gaming.

Better than HP/Compaq and Gateway.

Definitely better in the notebook comparisons.

My first computer was an Acer Aspire 1812mā€¦ it blazed with 32MB of RAM, a 2.1 GB HDD, and a K6 233 mhz processorā€¦ I have built or refurbished since thenā€¦ canā€™t help ya with this oneā€¦

NO NO NO!!! that is eMachinesā€¦ but itā€™s basically still crapā€¦

Acer:
The company was founded in 1987, its president is Teddy Lu. Part of ALi was separated as ULi Electronics Inc. in June 2003. ULi was acquired by NVIDIA in 2006 for $52 million.