Acer, Et Al

Anybody have the slim Acer?

Looks sorta ultrabook-ish, but at 5 lbs and no SSD, it’s not.

That said, it might fit my needs as a traveling companion.

Dang, Win8. : (

huh? are we looking at the same toppy?
"128GB Solid State Drive with no moving parts, resulting in an amazingly smooth and fast computing experience"
Weight: 2.87 lbs

I have a slim Acer that’s about 4 years old. It was cheap with no frills but it’s light, has a super long battery life (8+ hrs), and has been pretty reliable. I got it for college and it still works great as a work computer.

I think he’s looking at the 15.6" UltraThin for $400. http://www.woot.com/offers/aspire-v5-ultrathin-15-6-laptop

Not sure which one you’re talking about. If you’re talking about the 13.3 inch S7, then I have the 11.6 inch version of it and am very happy with it. The two have essentially the same internals with a totally different case.

Interesting and rarely-known fact: It actually runs 2x 64GB SSD drives/controllers (in a single package) and the default configuration puts it into a 128GB RAID0 array. That thing ZOOMS!

Also, you can install Windows 7, Linux, or anything else you want on it. You’re not locked into Windows 8.

Oh, one more thing. The AcerStore (store.acer.com) has a sale of 50% off “all accessories”. I’m using it in quotes because there are some exceptions, the S7’s power adapter being one such exception. But it’s definitely worth checking out to go along with your purchases here!

That Gateway is so out of place. First, because it is lumped with all those laptops. Second, because it is a Gateway. Third, and most important, is because that is a terrible deal.

Woot habitually has better deals on HP’s every week. Better stats for a better price.

Anyone wanna elaborate on the difference between factory reconditioned and refurbished? Did I miss information regarding warranty?

Nutshell, as I understand it, is Factory Reconditioned (refurbished, etc) means the orginial manufacturer or a company approved by them did the fix.

Refurbished means it was fixed by, basially, any other means than that listed above.

CJ is right on the money. Our definition for “Factory Reconditioned” is:

A “factory reconditioned” item was returned, inspected, and restored to fully working condition by the original manufacturer or a certified partner. And the original manufacturer stands behind it with a warranty. It’s as close to new as you can get without technically being “new”.

Here’s an explanation of refurbished/recertified that may help.

I’m in for one of the Acer Aspire S7’s for the Mrs. We’ve been looking at them for a couple months at the MS Store. WOOT!

Acer has owned Gateway for several years, so it’s not out of place at all.

Learn something new everyday.

Acer should just let that one die. Gateways should only be used to update MySpace accounts…if you know what I mean. LOL.

Thanks for the info though.

I have always liked how the S7 looked, and I don’t ever remember seeing it this inexpensive. I’m in for one. That’s a steal for a 1080 res touchscreen.

I got this Gateway, arrived today from when it was on woofi. I chose this over the HP’s for a few reasons:

-it’s “new” so the warranty is 1 year vs 90 days
-it has a slim case, much smaller, better for an HTPC
-lower power usage CPU, better for HTPC as I plan to leave this on 24/7 once I get plex set up
-Bluetooth built in

Everything else is pretty comparable between the two. Had the Gateway not been available I would probably gone with one of the HP’s, but this one just fit my needs better. Choice is good.

Glad it works for you. I can get with all of them except the power consumption. I have seen plenty of (better) 65W APU’s from AMD on here.

The difference in a few inches is not worth the difference in APU performance per dollar IMO. But, this isn’t about me. :wink:

But…again, I am glad it has it’s niche with consumers.

Ad writer: it has to be Lord Targus and Lady Gateway, since Lady Targus mixes genders.
Maybe Lady Targa…

Cheaper over at Newegg.com

http://promotions.newegg.com/Acer/13-2340/index.html?cm_sp=Ultra259--VisNav--Tile

Does anyone know if any of these have the new Haswell chips?