Acer ICONIA A200 10.1" Android Tablet

Feed him some Xanax and lower it to $140

I whipped this out at Band Camp this summer and all the flute players were impressed…

How KID-SAFE/FRIENDLY is this? I’ve been told that Kindle Fire has no parental controls or pop-up blocker, but that Acer does. My grandson is turning 10 next month.

A generic Android tablet will not have that much in the way of parental controls, other than finding your own 3p apps in the appstore.

Kindle Fires actually have a program for parental control for the newer generation fires that works prety well – throwing the link down there for you.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=kin_dp_ftu?docId=1000863021

Google play store has lots of apps (some free and some paid) for parental controls. Here is one:

here is an article about parental controls in Android:

Give me the Acer Iconia Tab A210-10g16u 10.1-Inch 16GB Tablet at this price and I will snap up 3 of them. :slight_smile:

Tegra 3.0 1.2 GHz
Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich

The A210 is actually cheaper then the A200 on Amazon at $258.96 and $269.99 respectively.

Yet- not quite impressive enough to impress the other woodwinds?

Which shirt did you design?

The wookie shirt! I updated the link in my signature to take you straight there. :happy:

I figured it out TT.

Nice design, but I would have phrased it “wookie nookie”. I bet that would sell some shirts :slight_smile:

edit: Just kidding- please don’t take offense

It was on sale for $125 this weekend! $179 is still too expensive.

If you’re talking about this, it looks like it went dead within an hour of the posting. Maybe incorrect pricing?

The price was correct, was a deal of the day. More limited quantities than yours, for sure (although it came available to purchase again in the afternoon). $150 would make it a real Woot deal.

I purchased a 16GB A200 nearly a year ago for about the same price, as a refurb. After a year, I’d think even a new 8GB one would be less than $180.

• Speed - The tablet was pretty sluggish even back then, easily outpaced by my cell phone. Newer tablets will leave this thing in the dust.
  • Battery - Battery life was pretty decent. I can usually get a few days of moderate use out of the A200. Battery is not easily user-replaceable so keep this in mind and leave it plugged in when you can to avoid cycling the battery.
  • Utility - The full-size USB port, which is very nice to have, will power an external hard drive which you can then play videos from. I’d usually get around 5 hours or so on a full battery of video playback doing this, though due to the processor speed (I believe) videos sometimes experienced stuttering and un-synced audio.
  • Sound - Sound quality is very poor. The speakers are much too quiet for being in a device of this size. Plan on external speakers or headphones.
  • Size - This tablet is larger than comparable ones out there, especially these days. The bezel around the screen is thicker than many. The body is also fairly thick but you don’t notice it much while using it. It does feel heavy after a short time holding it if you have nothing to rest it on.
  • Screen - The screen suffers from a slow refresh rate. Watching videos is a relatively poor experience because of this.

If this were $150 or so, and I didn’t already own one, I’d jump on it. As it is, it’s a pretty dated machine in today’s world.

The nook HD+ is a steal for a 9" tablet. Much better than this one. Also, there are refurb Toshiba Excite AF300 for $200 at Gamestop.com. Much better tab with IPS screen, Tegra 3 quad core, and 16GB. Also has a full size SD slot. TFT screens on tablets are just sad.

I know it is totally anecdotal, but I have had nothing but trouble with every ACER device I have owned. I have owned a lot of Samsung, ASUS, HP, and even Apple and have not had near the trouble with them…Add to this that ACER is near the bottom in customer service responsiveness and you have the perfect storm…Don’t trust me; read some of the ACER forums online…