Acer V5 UltraThin 15" Touchscreen Laptop

I know you are right on this. I’m in no hurry to buy a win 8 laptop anyway. However in a world becoming more and more touch screen-centric I think it’s just a matter of time before all touch screens on laptops have the 180 degree swivel feature. It just a simple hinge alteration they would all need to make in time and should not add too much to the cost in time.

Kind of wish I needed to replace my laptop right now. Have had a couple of Acers and found them very dependable with a minimum of proprietary Stuff installed. This looks like a good deal, and I’ve always wanted a backlit keyboard.

It has a Hard Disk Drive.

1366x768 might be low in terms of vertical screen real estate, but it could actually be better for some people than having 1080p on the same size screen. Many applications, particularly older ones, are only designed to work with a fixed font size, and on a 15 inch, 1080p monitor, their text may appear uncomfortably small for many. A 10" tablet at that resolution may be less likely to have an issue with that, since its interfaces are generally designed to be more scalable.

There’s also the potential issue of performance. A 1920x1080 screen has about twice as many pixels as a 1366x768 screen, and rendering those additional pixels on lower-end hardware is likely to result in reduced performance. This would be especially evident with games running at the screen’s native resolution on the laptop’s integrated graphics, but also could result in less smooth scrolling at more demanding websites, for example. To maintain the same performance on a higher resolution screen, you’ll also need somewhat higher powered hardware to back it up, and as a result, the cost of the laptop would increase more.

Of course, this vertical resolution issue is more a problem due the industry’s move to 16:9 widescreen formats than anything. If notebooks like this had a 15" 4:3 aspect ratio screen with a comparable resolution of 1280x960, there would be a lot less wasted space when browsing the web and doing other common desktop tasks.

I’ve been using an Acer Win8 touchscreen tablet (not this one) and I’m about to throw it. The Wi-Fi keeps dropping out for no apparent reason. I’ve searched Google for the same issue to no avail… at least no fixes that work for others work for me. Home Wi-Fi, random switching to “Limited Access” on the connection or just a sudden stop in streaming with no other indication, must disconnect and reconnect to regain. Rarely can get through an entire Netflix movie or YouTube session without it cutting out multiple times. When it kicks out, I can use the wi-fi on my phone just fine connected to the same access point. Not sure if it’s a Win8 thing or an Acer thing, but it’s a greatly annoying thing. Win7 laptops on the same access point work flawlessly under the same circumstances.

Throwing it probably won’t improve your Wi-Fi connection, though it’s possible, if there were a loose wire or something. :stuck_out_tongue:

It might be worth trying a USB Wi-Fi adapter with it though. There are some with reasonably good user reviews that can be found for around $10-$15 online. Some are even available in a “nano” form factor so as to avoid having a large thumb-drive shaped thing sticking out of your laptop. Getting one could be worth it if it fixes your connection issues.

Bingo!

I’ve been using this laptop since February and having the same problems, glad to know I’m not the only one with the issue. May have to try the first suggestion. I like everything else about this laptop, just wish the Wi-Fi didn’t constantly drop out…

Just got one of these…same exact issue with the wifi. Anyone try the usb wireless adapter? did it fix the issue?

I spent about three hours on this today. First tried updating the wifi device driver in Device Manager, but that said the driver ( a 2012 driver) was up to date. Acer tech support said this problem happens a lot and would be fixed by a new driver. Go to support.acer.com,search for Aspire V5-571P (not 571), and download the driver for your wireless device. You will of course have to use another computer, since you have no wireless. Or perhaps Ethernet LAN cable. Acer gives no instructions on driver installation, so I got to call again. Unzip the file, then look for setup or setup.exe, click on that and the new driver will install. For me it worked like magic