Acoustic Research 5.1 USB Headphones

http://static.wooters.us/images/wooters-logo-tiny.png Woot Info Post
wooters.us - where’s the power armor?

Acoustic Research 5.1 USB Headphones [New] - $19.99 + $5 shipping

1 * Acoustic Research ARW200 USB 5.1 Surround Sound Headphones

This post is brought to you by Wooters.us, to help make sure pricing information on the product is available in the future. We are not run by nor affiliated with Woot.

Wootalyzer’s Pricing Post! - The price of today’s woot item is saved here for future reference

Acoustic Research 5.1 USB Headphones
$19.99 + $5 Shipping
Condition: New

Product List:

• 1 Acoustic Research ARW200 USB 5.1 Surround Sound Headphones

DISCLAIMER Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

Is this the 3rd time these are up? I know its at least the second.

Thought they only sold AR gear out of white vans at the mall parking lot

Does the mannequin look sad to anyone else? It should be happy as its on Woot!

Third time some 5.1 headphones came up…

All the heads just look the same.

I remember a recent email promising more and better woot-offs. So far I’m just seeing more and longer. When does the ‘better’ kick in?

The folks over at obsessable give it a pretty good review. And it’s definitely a good value.

http://www.obsessable.com/feature/acoustic-research-arw200-usb-5-1-surround-sound-headphones-review/

Hmm…I wish these were the “over the ear” type. But, it’s at least the first time I remember these coming up.

Seriously though, why do on the ear headphones outnumber over the ear headphones!?

are these any good? honestly, I’d like to know…I need somegood headphones for my PC, and USB sounds attractive, because I have like, a million USB ports.

What the hell is 5.1 Surround sound when there is only two speakers on these headphones? Left and right audio I always considered to be stereo sound.

How can this be 5.1? Unless the center channel is in one side, and the sub is in the other. So more likely it’s 4.2 or 6.2…

It’s all relative.

Do they come with the metallic head???

It’s all lies, except for the half-truths.

It came and went with those pirate door mats.

Amazon review,only 2 both 3 out of 5 star
Average Customer Rating
3.0 out of 5 stars (2 customer reviews)
5 star: (0)
4 star: (0)
3 star:
(2)
2 star: (0)
1 star: (0)

Ease of use 2.5 out of 5 stars (2)
Sound quality 3.0 out of 5 stars (2)
› Rate this item’s 2 attributes or suggest a new one.

Share your thoughts with other customers:
Create your own review
Most Helpful Customer Reviews

1 of 1 people found the following review helpful:
3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not outstanding, November 22, 2009
By A. Perego - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
Amazon Verified Purchase(What’s this?)
This review is from: Audiovox Acoustic Research ARW200 - Headphones ( ear-cup )
Construction:
The object appears a little flimsy; the ear cushions are rather small and do not insulate from external noise; the cushioning pieces of the headband are glued and detach easily. The USB connector, containing probably some driving electronics, is rather large, so that in might interdict the simultaneous use of adjacent computer ports. On the positive side, the headphones fold up and can be placed in a nice travel pouch furnished with them.
Sound quality:
Being used to the sound of recording studio-grade near-field monitors I’m perhaps too finicky: the sound quality is good but not outstanding; the surround effect is limited by the constraints on the position of the speakers, but it is enjoyable and adds enough spatiality. The dialogues in movies are easier to understand, even for a person affected by partial phoneme deafness, as I am.
Ease of use:
I’ve tried the headphones only with Macintosh computers running Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard). There are no serious compatibility issues, but for some annoying shortcomings. To be clear, these flaws are due to Mac OS X and not to the headphones themselves.

• Setting up the computer for 5.1 output is done easily enough by changing a few parameters in the “Audio MIDI Setup” application. Unfortunately, whenever the headphones are disconnected from the computer the settings return to normal stereo default and must be changed again and again. I’ve found a workaround by using Applescript GUI scripting to restore all the parameters with a single click.
  • presently DVD Player, the standard Apple movie player, does not output 5.1 sound data to USB audio devices. Fortunately, the open-source VLC application does not share this limitation and can be used for this purpose. VLC lacks some of the niceties provided by DVD Player (visually driven chapter choice, automatic return to the spot were watching was last interrupted, etc.) but it works flawlessly.
    Bottom line:
    This product has its limits, in particular for Macintosh users, but it delivers clear, enjoyable surround sound and it’s well worth its (discounted) price

Can anyone 'splain to me how two speakers can reproduce 5.1 sound? Seriously?