Aduro Surge Wall Tower Outlet Dual USB

Aduro Surge Wall Tower Outlet Dual USB

12 plugs into a single wall socket… Hmmm - I’m glad they claim a fire-detection shutoff circuit of some kind… since the thing is tying up access to both wall sockets, they could at least have tapped in to both, shared the (over)load.

“No, Every Thing is Fine…”

2 Likes

Do any of these have a screw to fasten to the outlet? The last Duro I got didn’t.

These are actually really handy for low-current chargers. You obviously done want to connect twelve (or even two!) heaters to this. And you have to be careful not to overload the circuit. But 12 chargers at 20W each is only 240W, or 2A at 120V–well within the 15A limit.

There’s no point in connecting to both plugs in an outlet: one plug can handle the maximum 15A the outlet as a whole can handle–and the two plugs are wired in parallel anyway.

3 Likes

I doubt that these actually have surge protection–I bought the free-standing tower version of this, and although it also said “Surge…” in the headline, there’s no evidence of a surge protector that I can see, no mention of it on the product or packaging aside from the brand name “Surge.” This is really rather deceptive naming…

Could Woot look into whether the “Surge” brand products have surge protection or not and maybe insert a line in the description of these when you list them? I kinda bought mine with the expectation that that’s what the branding meant, so I’m a little disappointed.

2 Likes

I bought that one, too. It does have a button on the bottom that, I assume, will reset it if there’s a power surge but I can’t say for sure. You’re right, there wasn’t much of any documentation but I’m not using it for anything important.

1 Like

I got one of these last time they were on sale. Comes in handy when you have an outlet behind a cabinet or dresser and don’t want to worry about smashing the plug

3 Likes

My guess the button is to reset the circuit breaker if you draw too much current. Surge protectors don’t usually need to be reset, but sometimes they need to be replaced if the surge is big enough.

2 Likes

Connecting to both plugs might improve the physical stability of the tower.

1 Like

Pointless tapping to both; a double outlet comes from one line. Unless you have a fused outlet, it would be of no use other than inflating the price of the unit.

2 Likes

I purchased & still haven’t received it. It’s been over a month. The company sent delay notices & then gave up. I wouldn’t buy from this company. They have no respect for WOOT customers. I hope WOOT comes thru for me.

2 Likes

Amazon states 300 joules. You would need to take it apart to see if it has MOV’s or other technology to absorb a surge. If determined, do destructive testing in a lab. Cannot conclude one way or another without voiding your warranty.

So you will need to believe Arduro or buy something more robust like those by APC or Belkin.

For items that are not transported, need line filtration, and can take ten fold 3330 joules, go for multistage EMI/RFI noise filtering, spike and surge protection with Tripp Lite. That level is 4 times the weight and expense, but best for protecting your HDTV and router.

2166 ratings with 90% 5 stars on Amazon.

According to the questions on Amazon for the 12 outlet device, there is a screw hole (the pictures seem to show one as well) but you need to supply your own screw. No big deal if you have a moderately decent hardware store nearby. A screw would be handy to keep the whole thing in place when unplugging cords.

2 Likes

I bought one last time and good luck finding a screw. I finally gave up. It’s a small screw and since they didn’t recess the hole it needs to be like 3.5” or maybe 4”. That’s not a common size so you have to order 100 of them online for $30. It’s been a while so I may be off a bit but that was my experience. I still can’t use mine because it won’t stay in the socket.

I’m pretty Sure, “Damn Shurrr”, that this Is No A Surge Protector Tower.
#BuyerBeware

The long screw is easily found @ HD or Lowes in the hardware section.

1 Like