Aduro Surge Wall Tower Outlet Dual USB

I do hope that you’ve forwarded a copy of my notated photo above to anyone evaluating the safety of these products. Note the shaded white and black electrical trace overlays I’ve placed on the photo - they clearly demonstrate that the neutral (wide) slot on the front face is connected physically to the hot (black) AC buss, and similarly the hot (narrow) slot on the front face is connected physically to the neutral (white) AC buss. This is incorrect and violates US electrical code. Furthering the issue, the side outlets are wired in an inverse manner, thus “correct”, but in conflict with the front outlets. Given that these sockets all include a ground as well, if a plugged in device in a reversed outlet provides a “neutral” fault to ground it will actually be directly connecting the hot side of the supply to ground! Likewise any device intending to switch off the hot side for safety will instead be leaving it live while disconnecting the neutral. This is a shock hazard.

Here’s an easy test - with the outlet unplugged, test for continuity with an electrical meter between any neutral (wide) plug on the front with any hot (narrow) plug on the side. You should never see continuity (aka, a short) between the two, but you will find that they are indeed directly connected.

5 Likes