Aduro Surge Wall Tower Outlet Dual USB

IMPORTANT: Received mine (both styles). These things are dangerous, not up to code, and are most likely illegal to be sold in the US. The hot and neutral plug inlets are interchanged between the side and front faces. Neutral (wider slot) on one face is directly connected to Hot (narrower slot) on the other, and vise versa. By having physically different sized slots this outlet indicates that polarity is being respected, but it is not. This is a safety issue and can cause a user to be shocked should a polarized device be plugged into this outlet.

8 Likes

Thank you. I think this is the most helpful of all the comments!

Holy crap. That’s definitely in violation of US standards and, as you say, super unsafe.

How did you determine this? With a meter, or did you disassemble it? If you took it apart, I’d love to see pics.

Well, they are being honest about it:

“Aduro” means “Burn” in Latin don’tchaknow. But it’s also Latin for “consume in fire”

List price is a lie: they are $18 & $20 over on Amazon, not $40 & $50.

Hi there. List price is the MSRP, not Amazon’s price.

Here’s a picture with the bottom plate removed.

3 Likes

@ThunderThighs this product (both “9” and “12 outlet” styles - I ordered both and can attest that the safety issue exists in both) should be IMMEDIATELY pulled from sale and a recall initiated.

cc: @dwasifar

2 Likes

Thank you for the info. I’ve passed it on to our team.

I am sad because I spent like 60 bucks on these things only to find they are fire hazards. Super. I’ve already opened all of them and no longer have the packaging.

Really disappointed in woot, thought I could trust the products sold here, but I guess I have to be on my toes. :confused:

Pls feel free to reach out to Woot! Customer Service.

From a browser, use the Woot! Customer Service form.

In the Woot! App, choose Account from the bottom navigation and then Support.

Note: Woot! Customer Service replies go to the email address on your Woot! account, not your Amazon login email if used/different.

1 Like

Note from Woot

Hello. Please know that we take safety concerns and customer trust very seriously. We have therefore taken these products down while we thoroughly investigate the claims with the vendor.

At this time, we can confirm that the products passed all relevant electrical testing requirements for North America (ETL) and the manufacturer is not aware of any safety concerns with this product. This product has also been on the market for over a year with tens of thousands sold. But we are continuing to investigate. Please reach out to support@woot.com if you have any further questions.

I do hope that you’ve forwarded a copy of my notated photo above to anyone evaluating the safety of these products. Note the shaded white and black electrical trace overlays I’ve placed on the photo - they clearly demonstrate that the neutral (wide) slot on the front face is connected physically to the hot (black) AC buss, and similarly the hot (narrow) slot on the front face is connected physically to the neutral (white) AC buss. This is incorrect and violates US electrical code. Furthering the issue, the side outlets are wired in an inverse manner, thus “correct”, but in conflict with the front outlets. Given that these sockets all include a ground as well, if a plugged in device in a reversed outlet provides a “neutral” fault to ground it will actually be directly connecting the hot side of the supply to ground! Likewise any device intending to switch off the hot side for safety will instead be leaving it live while disconnecting the neutral. This is a shock hazard.

Here’s an easy test - with the outlet unplugged, test for continuity with an electrical meter between any neutral (wide) plug on the front with any hot (narrow) plug on the side. You should never see continuity (aka, a short) between the two, but you will find that they are indeed directly connected.

5 Likes

I just took two minutes to check the ones I ordered a few months ago and djsteve is absolutely correct. Theses are not wired correctly and present a real safety hazard. It shouldn’t take Woot and Amazon over three months to check was just took me two minutes to verify. Amazon/Woot needs to recall these defective and unsafe units immediately.

I will be filling a complaint with the CPSC and informing Consumer Reports about this.

1 Like

@dtapley, note that Woot is selling these same units AGAIN.
link here

Yes, I saw that. And I posted an alert to this issue and it has been removed by Woot!. Yet another reason to be very careful when buying here. You would think they care about safety and liability.

1 Like

Hello. Please know that we take safety concerns and customer trust very seriously. At this time, we can confirm that the products are genuine and have passed all relevant electrical testing requirements for North America (ETL). The manufacturer is not aware of any safety concerns with this product, and CPSC has not issued any warnings or recalls. This product has been on the market for over a year with tens of thousands sold, and is still available for purchase at many retailers. Please reach out to support@woot.com if you have any further questions.

1 Like

On your profile page, I see your various alerts still there.

Every time a product gets relisted on Woot, a new thread is created, so while it may look like the thread was cleaned, it’s simply a new thread.

(Please note: I don’t work for Woot, I just volunteer to help out here on the forums.)

1 Like

I have done all I can here to raise awareness to Woot/Amazon, and have archived my warnings along with discounted responses.

As the next step, I have filed a formal claim of non-compliance to Intertek, the ETL mark provider. If others wish to do the same, they may do so here.

@djsteve1 and everyone.

I just received a recall notice from Woot! regarding the 12-outlet version of these. Thank you to Woot! for forwarding this information to all your customers who bought these.

I know I was not the only person to report this issue to the CPSC, so thank you to the others who also filled out a report. And thank you especially to @djsteve1 for first reporting this issue and for providing images of the internals that cause the defect.

The real notice I received affected only the 12-outlet version; I hope to see one soon for the 9-outlet version.

3 Likes