Aeroprene Checkpoint Friendly Laptop Wrap

How much more protective can this really be compared to my awesome zippered messenger bag?

Here’s TSA’s definition of checkpoint friendly.

Disclaimer in the above link:
“Purchasing one of these bags will not guarantee that you can leave your laptop in your bag for screening. If a Transportation Security Officer finds that the bag does not present a clear and distinct image of the laptop separate from the rest of the bag, the laptop must be screened separately.”

and (don’t laugh):
“Transportation Security Officers know what the inside of a computer should look like”

In my experience, if the bag has only the laptop in it, with no pockets above or below the laptop when it’s flat in the X-ray scanner, you don’t have take the laptop out of the bag.

My checkpoint friendly laptop bag (not this woot item) opens up like a book, with the laptop only pocket on one side, and all the accessories in the other side.

That said, I don’t see where in this woot item to store cables and other accessories without them being on top of the laptop while going through X-ray. So if you use this woot and have the power adapter in the same bag, you might still need to spread things out a bit going through X-ray or you’ll confuse the TSA screeners.

I’m guessing that you either remove the accessory bag or that you flip it up so that it isn’t lying on top of your laptop.

I just want to add that Amazon has listed this product’s first available date as Jan 24, 2004, but it still has “yet to be released”. I really hope Amazon hasn’t been holding onto someone’s preorder for a laptop bag for 6 years…

I was wondering the same thing! =)

SlimLine would be like a Dell Adamo and a MacBook Air. Basically a laptop that is thinner than normal laptops (doesnt have a CD/DVD drive, etc).

This looks rather clumsy and needlessly like wrapping a package.

I picked up a checkpoint briefcase that opens like a book and works well. Very simple and professional looking design. Only $30 at Target.

I have been looking at neoprene sleeves and the like and I believe I have come to fetishize neoprene.

I really wanted to like this. But this design, I just don’t see this as being useful. I think all the wrapping would become annoying to me. And with so many open edges, it would seem not secure enough when you can get something that is sewn closed on 3 sides or opens like a book.

The picture on Woot shows that this is Sima product SWP-LW2. Sima’s website states in its description for SWP-LW2 -

“Available in 2 sizes to fit all laptops.”

Anybody know what size Woot’s offering is? I could not find it in the description.

I fly a LOT, and I can tell you that Atlanta, Tampa, Orlando, Miami do NOT require you to boot up your laptop - you must look very guilty!

Other prices for the SWP-LW2:
Walmart - $60.88
Amazon.com - $49.33
Buy.com - 49.33

These prices do not include S&H.

Buy.com lists the size of the SWP-LW2 as 10" x 14.2" x 1.5’

In for 1.

Still no measurements available from Woot HQ?

Sigh.

Oh well, on with life.

product website

http://www.simaproducts.com/products/product_detail.php?product_id=660

After further looking I found the Sima SWP-1. The product description is the same as the SWP-LW2 except that it’s ‘Small’ for 7" to 11.1" laptops. Looks like SWP-LW2 is only 1 size.

Hey, it’s Saturday morning. What do you expect? The Buy.com’s measurements of 10"x14.2"x1.5" are big enough for my 15.5" (diagonal) laptop. And from the picture on Sima’s site, it looks like there is some flexibility built in when the Aeroprene is wrapped around the laptop and velcro’ed up.

That’s a valid point and difference. But I guess the other side is, you don’t have to be squeezing your laptop into a tight neoprene sleeve, that doesn’t have top handles and a carrying strap.

I do wonder about the amount of protection, and at the corners especially. I think that I might be carrying this like an eggshell if used separate from a thicker carrying case or backpack. (I had a zippered protective case for an earlier laptop and found it to be fine when used as protection in a separate carry-on luggage case; but even though the protective case had sewn-on carrying handles, I rarely used it alone and always felt that the case alone wasn’t sufficient protection from daily potential bumps and grinds.)

I expect this to no longer be available at midnight, much less on Monday when it seems everyone returns to the office.

If everyone is out of the office that means that woot is on autopilot.

=0

I’m with you. I fly a few times a month and I just use an Ogio laptop backpack with a separate zipper pocket for the computer. At security checkpoints I’m always left waiting for the people who DON’T know what they’re doing, that it gives me more than enough time to unzip, pull it out, throw it in a bin, and set the bag on the cart. Even then, I’m usually left waiting for grandma to take off her shoes or for some hipster to pull out his emo plug earrings. Large waste of money here…people trying to capitalize on the presumption of a faster or more convenient screening that simply does not exist.

***edit: i’ve not once been asked to power on my laptop.

Shipping Update
Aeroprene Checkpoint Friendly Laptop Wrap has completely shipped via SmartPost. All tracking has been emailed to members who purchased this item. If you would like to find your tracking information sooner, please click the following link and use your ORDER NUMBER as the reference number.

FEDEX TRACKING

I just got mine and it is WORTLESS too small for my 15 inch slim line wide screen notebook and too big for husbands 13 inch mac book this will NEVER fit a 15 inch wide screen woot lies!