AirStation Extreme AC1750 DD-WRT Wi-Fi Router

How do you think this will work compared to the WZR-300HP? After a couple of years it has started to need more resets lately.

I am a newbie to network setup. I just received an Actiontec GT784WNV from Verizon DSL (to replace an old Westell modem) and I am unable to connect wirelessly to my new SMART TV. Actiontec tech support advised me to use a Wireless Access Point as this modem does not support a wireless repeater. Would the Buffalo AC1750 fit the bill? Any advice would be appreciated.

Be careful about not reading descriptions and spec lists correctly. This router clearly has AC wireless.

Your terminology is confusing to me (not blaming you if it’s what you were told) and I’m not sure what the exact problem is.

Some of your confusion stems from these companies using all in one devices.

For a broadband connection, you need to start with a modem. All this does is convert a DSL signal into a usable Ethernet signal. (You’re switching mediums here).

From there, you need a router to authenticate you to your DSL provider. Routers are the sending point for your traffic to be able to reach the web. Think of it as the post office.

If you want wired access in your home, you need a device called a switch which gives you a bunch of ports to plug into, with one port linking up to the router.

If you want wireless access, you need an access point going into that switch, which is basically doing a similar job to the modem: it’s converting Ethernet from the switch over to wireless (which is the 802.11ac you’re seeing.)

Then there’s a wireless repeater, which is an access point that just takes a signal and rebroadcasts it to get you more coverage/distance.

The reason why people get confused is because you have these devices combining all these functions to trim down on what has to be installed and how to configure it all.

So to your question, it really depends on why your TV won’t connect. If they’re saying it won’t support a wireless repeater, I don’t know why not. To my understanding, the repeater is where the configuration goes for repeating a signal, not the base router.

If you want to use this unit as a router/access point instead of Verizon’s, you will still need their device to act as a modem and potentially the authentication piece. (Their device will need to be placed into bridge mode.) Now, this won’t extend your network unless the antenna and gain is better, and even then, your TV’s antenna may be the problem.

Sorry for the confusion. The Actiontec tech said that Verizon does not support wireless repeaters and here is their full text:

“Verizon’s programming doesn’t allow for or support range extenders or repeaters, but you could use a Wireless Access Point.
A Wireless Access Point is like a wireless bridge.
You connect the AP unit to your router by ethernet. You can then run an ethernet cable up to 300 feet from the router and place it where you wish the wireless coverage to be. You then connect a computer to the AP and configure it using your web browser to transmit the wireless network.
The AP pulls IP Addresses from the router via the ethernet cable and then transmits them to the wireless computers connecting to the AP.
This is the same method hotels\motels use to provide the free WIFI access you enjoy when traveling so its a proven fix for WIFI coverage issues.
You may need a hub if you wish to still have a computer connected to the router by ethernet.
The hub should have a labelled uplink port.
This connects to the router ethernet.
The AP plugs into one of the hub ports, and the computers to additional hub ports. (Hubs come with as few as four ports or as many as 64 ports, you can purchase almost anything to fit your needs)
This is the best solution I can offer because the products we manufacuter don’t support range extenders or repeaters. Range extenders and repeaters use a protocol called Wireless Distribution Services and the Actiontec units do not have this built into their transmitters.
You can also purchase high gain antenna to replace the current antenna, it is removable. You would be looking for an RP-SMA antenna in the 7db to 10db High Gain range.
If the issue however is due to walls or flooring materials, then an antenna won’t resolve the issue. You would have to use the AP method.”

I am wondering if the Buffalo will satisfy my getting wireless to my TV, which is downstairs and the verizon modem/router is upstairs on the opposite side of the house. My laptop downstairs does receive the wireless connection. Hope this clarifies my explanation. Actiontec did not recommend any brands or models to buy.

Short answer is yes, it’ll work. Now if you buy 2, you can use one of them as an AP and the other one as a repeater.

Yes, but you’ll have to set it up properly as an AP. An AP is a glorified repeater for the average home user, they just like to make things confusing so you pay extra for their terrible service calls.

I think I may have found out that this might not work for my application. I’m using Time Warner Cable as my provider. They use a coax cable from the wall to the router. This one doesn’t have a port for a cable😔.

They use a coax cable to the modem. Your modem may be combined with a router in a single device, but you can drop this on that combo device and use this as your router instead.

The thing is a piece of shit, and Buffalo support is non-existent. It has a switch “AP/WB” that doesn’t function, it’s super finicky, the manual/documentation are lacking, and there is very little community support/knowledge available. Buffalo won’t honor a refund either - they want me to do a whole RMA paperwork pain in the ass to get a replacement. Fuck these guys

10 days and still no router… Their shipping partner, some kind of package cloning outfit picked it up 6 times on the 10th. Twice at 9:52 pm, then 4 times at 9:56 pm, It then left at 2:55 am on the 11th. No more info has been updated since then. I didn’t know whitestown Indiana was in the Bermuda triangle. Woot, there it went.

At least you got yours…I’m stuck with a refund after waiting 11 days only to find out it got sucked into a blackhole called “shipping partner” I was trying to upgrade from my Linksys wrt54g that I loaded ddwrt on. I’d rather have a bag-of-crap-on-fire than deal with woot again.