Airthereal HEPA Air Cleaner, APH260

Airthereal HEPA Air Cleaner, APH260

R u 4 real.
Science summary: HEPA filters good. Current retail model air purifiers with UV-C add little protection.
The EPA says that for actual destruction of mold and bacteria spores, you would need high levels of UV light and much longer exposure times. You may need much higher levels that what is offered in a residential unit, as well as prolonged exposure–much more than the few seconds when air passes through a device.

HEPA filter replacement for Airthereal APH260

How effective are UV-C air purifiers?
Here’s a link to science blog:

Though UV-C light can potentially deactivate microbes, whether it can do so within a portable air purifier unit is a different matter altogether. These units are often advertised to reduce dust mite and mold allergens.

The effectiveness of UV-C light in disinfecting the air depends on a number of factors, including:

• Whether the pollutants come into contact with the UV light
  • Whether the light is inhibited by the cooling effect of airflow
  • The material of the bulb emitting such light
  • The high dosage of light required
  • How long the pollutant is exposed to the light

UV air purifiers vs. microorganisms

If it is properly designed, the UV filtration process can potentially deactivate some bacteria and mold and offer a small reduction in viruses, but little reduction in bacterial and mold spores (Kowalski & Bahnfleth, 2000). Generally, bacterial and mold spores are resistant to UV radiation and require a high dosage of UV light. The EPA says that for actual destruction of mold and bacteria spores, you would need high levels of UV light and much longer exposure times. You may need much higher levels that what is offered in a residential unit, as well as prolonged exposure–much more than the few seconds when air passes through a device.

UV air purifiers vs. allergens

UV purification does not entirely remove allergens, chemical fumes, dust, pet dander, cigarette smoke or molds from the air (Olander et al., 1988). Dangerous gases and many solid particles are often invulnerable to UV radiation.

The EPA says that mold particles can still cause allergies even when deactivated, and so UV air purifiers may not be effective for allergies and asthma.

UV air purifiers vs. VOCs

Many harmful pollutants are unaffected by UV-C light. UV light cannot destroy volatile organic compounds, or VOCs – commonly found in household products, from paint and varnishes to cleaning, disinfecting, and cosmetic solutions. The intense energy of UV light can even cause VOCs to off-gas more quickly than they usually would, or change them into more dangerous substances.

:heart_eyes:Very knowledgeble quotation. That’s true. To destroy mold, bacteria and viruses, it needs longer exposure times. Therefore, the UV light is located behind the HEPA filter inside Airthereal’s APH260 air purifier. When pollutants get stuck on the filter, the UV-C is not only disinfecting the air, but also keeping mold, bacteria and viruses from growing in the filter.

The UV-C function is optional. Just turn it on when you need it.

1 Like

I was actually going to ask what the anion reference is for as far as in this construct? Is that the trapping mechanism for viruses etc?

Not really. Anions are particles with one or more extra electrons, conferring a net negative charge to the particle. It’s used to eliminate the occurrence of air-borne bacterial infections and to reduce static electricity buildup in electronics.

It speeds up the purification by absorbing pollen, dust and other airborne particles. When the anion function is on, it becomes an air ionizer that uses high voltage to ionize air molecules.

Mine runs nearly 24 hours a day. These should sell out.

Just wish the filters were a bit less expensive.

$29.99 apiece or $49.99 for two at the mothership.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R4731VK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Correct and I think someone went to a lot of trouble not understanding what the UV-C light is really for in these bad boys. It keeps the bugs down in the filter, not the air passing through. You need a much stronger light spectrum, like the ones in the air return or supply in home HVAC systems. I set one up in a box I built to DECON items I wore at work that day along with my masks and other PPE. I zap it all, including my belt for no less then 15 minutes and thats MORE then enough. But the lights in this and other air cleaners are to keep the filters clean, not the air.

2 Likes

Affordable Recommendation: Airthereal Pure Morning APH230C

There is a secret discount code in the machine for filter replacements. Shhh…

1 Like

I tried to create an account and failed. Hence I could not purchase an air purifier for my son.

Extremely frustrating, I never did hear from customer service.

Ok. I had a second question. Are these certified to not produce harmful ozone and therefore purchasable for use in California?

I unboxed my new air cleaner today and got it started. Am eager to experience the fresher air.

But I didn’t see in the machine where the secret discount code is for the filter replacements? I think I looked at every tag, but can you help me out where to find it?

Thanks!

@AirtherealSupport @ThunderThighs Any hints on where I can find the discount code for filter replacements? This is like a treasure hunt where the treasure chest contains an air filter? Ah, at least I’m breathing good air while I hunt.

I sent an email a couple days ago. Let me nudge them again.

Have you detached the front cover to unwrap the plastic bag of the filter inside? The code is on a sticker of the plastic bag. If they missed the code for yours, please email me at support@airthereal.com. I got you.

1 Like

That’s terrible. Please subscribe to our newsletter. We’ll keep you updated when we have promotion again. :grimacing:

Yes, it’s CARB certified.

Nope, no sticker on the plastic bag. Just the silica gel in it, saying not to eat it. I didn’t. Bummer I guess I’ll pay full price for my replacement filter.