Airthereal MA10K-PRODIGI Ozone Generator

Airthereal MA10K-PRODIGI Ozone Generator

Even low amounts of ozone are dangerous and can/will cause chest pain, coughing, shortness of breath, and irritation to the throat and lining. Even healthy people are at risk for lung related issues. There is almost no benefit to an ozone generator over a good HEPA filter system. These are dangerous for people/pets especially people with respiratory issues or animals with delicate lungs (birds). Ozone is a strong oxidant. This means it will corrode metal, promote rusting and will degrade plastic/rubber in the area.

Overall I would suggest a good filtration system with a carbon filter to remove bad smells. You’re basically trading one potential health problem with another by utilizing a ozone generator.

Do research before purchasing.

Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) requires that workers not be exposed to an average concentration of more than 0.10 ppm for 8 hours.

Potential risks: decreases in lung function, aggravation of asthma, throat irritation/cough, chest pain/shortness of breath, inflammation of lung tissue, and higher susceptibility to respiratory infection.

" There is evidence to show that at concentrations that do not exceed public health standards, ozone is not effective at removing many odor-causing chemicals."

While high concentrations of ozone in air may sometimes be appropriate in these circumstances, conditions should be sufficiently controlled to insure that no person or pet becomes exposed . Ozone can adversely affect indoor plants, and damage materials such as rubber, electrical wire coatings and fabrics and art work containing susceptible dyes and pigments (U.S. EPA, 1996a).

Some studies show that ozone concentrations produced by ozone generators can exceed health standards even when one follows manufacturer’s instructions.

Many factors affect ozone concentrations including the amount of ozone produced by the machine(s), the size of the indoor space, the amount of material in the room with which ozone reacts, the outdoor ozone concentration, and the amount of ventilation. These factors make it difficult to control the ozone concentration in all circumstances.

Available scientific evidence shows that, at concentrations that do not exceed public health standards, ozone is generally ineffective in controlling indoor air pollution.

The concentration of ozone would have to greatly exceed health standards to be effective in removing most indoor air contaminants. In the process of reacting with chemicals indoors, ozone can produce other chemicals that themselves can be irritating and corrosive.

tl;dr don’t waste your money.

9 Likes

…Except for the facts that (a) you’re not supposed to be breathing the output; everything (including the woot write-up) says to vacate the area because it’s harmful and (b) these work massively well, including in situations where a HEPA filter won’t even get the particles causing the issue passed through it. There’s a reason hotels use ozone generators to clear the smell of corpses from rooms. The ozone causes the scent molecules to degrade to the point where they cease to exist. I’ve used one to get the smell of a 60 a day smoker out of a used car before now.

8 Likes

You’re not supposed to strap it on like a respirator you know, and these are for occasional use not daily exposure. If following instructions* for your own safety is “tl;dr” then the issue is with you.

5 Likes

There is always one person that wants to scream from the rafters that Ozone is going to kill everyone and everything.

Do not hang out in the space where you are running this thing. Vent the space before going back into it. Ozone kills living things, that is how it removes odors, it kills the things that cause the odors.

Ozone will destroy things like rubber and plastic.

3 Likes

There’s always more than one! They Just love hysteria and feeding off of rules and taking it all out of context. I bet they all hang out together at the Ham Radio Rules convention.

4 Likes

:star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

2 Likes

Ozone is very effective at odor removal, but it does have negatives, especially for those of us with respiratory issues. I have asthma, and it causes an immediate and very unpleasant reaction. The odor also makes me feel nauseous (had a company car years ago and the previous driver had used an ozone generator in it - yuck!)

For professional use, the industry has switched to hydroxyl generators, which are also effective at odor removal (but not as quick as ozone), but they’re safe to use in occupied spaces, and don’t damage plastics and rubber.

1 Like

Will this fix the hole in the ozone layer? The govt should hand these out like candy. Hey, I just solved Al Gore’s inconvenient truth. Can a Nobel Prize be far behind?

Sadly for the hole in the Ozone Layer that will not work, the Oxygen Atoms don’t really like forming Ozone (O3) and would rather form Oxygen (O2) by tossing off the extra Oxygen atom and then that free atom wants to bond with anything it can as quickly as it can. This is how Ozone ruins rubber and plastic, that free Oxygen will bond with a long chain hydrocarbon and break the chain into shorter chains. This is how UV deterioration happens, sunlight makes Ozone form just over a surface, then the Ozone breaks back down and the free Oxygen attacks the surface. The actual chemistry is fascinating, I just know the basics of it because I work with equipment that uses 10,000 Volt power supplies that also generate Ozone so we got to take a class on why we need to use UV resistant materials around High Voltage power supplies.

The analogy used in the class was “A free Oxygen atom will jump onto anything it can faster than a frat boy at a keg party with cheerleaders.”

1 Like

Get a grip, stv6669! Your post borders on activist hysteria, and shows you have a rather shallow understanding of how, why, and when an O3 generator is used. I don’t think you really understand much about chemistry either, based on the tone of your post.

How do you think those heavily advertised CPAP cleaners that use no water and “no chemicals” work?

Why O3, of course.

O3 is basically a strong oxidizing agent, but in this case in gaseous form. If one is plagued with mold and mildew in a closed space, for example, then an O3 generator may just do the trick in controlling it. It also can be used to “clean” unused spaces of stale odors and general miasmas. I use just such a generator to keep my large storage shed fresh. Before, I bought one of these machines, I used paraformaldehyde. On the whole, the O3 generator works better and is safer.

And, yes, of course, it is not good to breathe for people or pets. It is highly irritating to any moist tissue, including eyes, noise, and lungs.

In general, O3 like many other oxidizing agents tends to attack unsaturated bonds, viz., double bonds, producing, ozonides, peroxides and hydroperoxides, which further oxidize, degrade and breakdown. As an organic chemist, I have used O3 generators from time to time to conduct certain reactions.

So, yes, it will attack certain things more than others. Things like rubber, some elastomers, tires, and some, but not all, plastics can be susceptible to O3 damage.

Did you know, that tires for instance are deliberately stabilized by the addition of antioxidants to mitigate side wall cracking owing to things like O3? When I worked with rubber stabilizers many years ago, we compounded flat test strips that were folded in a loop, place in a rack, and exposed to ambient air, sunlight, or O3. Poorly stabilized materials would develop cracks in the fold in a matter of days, but it wasn’t in minutes.

So the potential damage is directly proportional to exposure. Therefore, what is more appropriate to say is:

“Use sparingly in unoccupied spaces, and only enough to do the job. Allow sufficient time after the machine has run for the O3 level to drop naturally. Ventilate the space well before entering.”

3 Likes

I accidentally left the sunroof open in my wife’s car while she was out of town. It rained. Hard. Car reeked of mildew. Ran a similar device in the car while at work for 8 hours. Odor was gone before she got home.

3 Likes

You can certainly decide for yourself…

Here’s what the EPA has to say about it:

1 Like

Yes, everyone (except for you) saw stv6669’s opening r̶a̶n̶t̶ post about the exact same thing.

1 Like

A whole lot of people got triggered by facts and scientific research.

The research says it’s not even effective at doing what it’s supposed to… thus why I said do your research before buying it.

But you all do you.

eh, it’s not worth it

Actually I am a scientist. How about yourself?

I also am smart enough to follow directions and heed product warnings. Windex is awesome at what it does, but I don’t drink it. I’ve seen the effectiveness of ozone machines for their intended purpose, but I don’t sit with them in the same room while they’re working.

1 Like

Again, how does this contradict the claim from the US EPA that this method of ozone generation is not effective at doing what it claims and has obvious hazardous affects on people, plants, metal, plastic and rubber?

According to a report produced by the EPA, ozone generators are ineffective at reducing levels of formaldehyde and carbon monoxide, despite claims by manufacturers. Also, from the toxins with which ozone does react, there is a potential for the creation of new, potentially more dangerous toxins. For example, ozone mixed with chemicals from new carpet can create aldehydes, which can irritate the lungs. Other reactions may create formic acid, another irritant. The potential for chemical reactions in the average house is difficult to predict. Ozone can damage carpets, synthetics, padding, cushions, foam, plastic, furniture, covers, rubber, electrical wires, wire coatings, fabrics, art, dyes, pigments and plants. Where is the warning against this anywhere on the product page? Even the manual, which I read thoroughly, does not explain any of this.

You’ve now posted to me three times and I still haven’t replied to you until now… you are so triggered by facts that don’t support your beliefs. So offended by the EPA’s website, EPA quotes and me telling people to do research if they’re thinking about purchasing it.

On top of this, you then make the silly claim that you’re a “smart scientist”, as if that means you’re in a position to contradict the EPA. Congratulations on the strawman attack on Windex though.

1 Like