Airthereal MA5000 Ozone Generators

Airthereal MA5000 Ozone Generators

Never in my life has an ozone generator come up. Then, the other day when talking about cleaning my car, someone suggested it. Just days later it pops up on Woot.

I’m sure it’s just confirmation bias but damn…

1 Like

Alexa is always listening!

4 Likes

It’s a conspiracy!

Ozone comes in two strengths, unsafe and ineffective. They should absolutely not be selling them for the purpose of in-room air cleaning.

Stay far away from these things. Woot will sell an actual air purifier before too long if you need one.

2 Likes

Huh. I did not know #hashtags were a thing in 2008.

#TheMoreYouKnow

5 Likes

Ozone generators that are sold as air cleaners intentionally produce the gas ozone. Often the vendors of ozone generators make statements and distribute material that lead the public to believe that these devices are always safe and effective in controlling indoor air pollution. For almost a century, health professionals have refuted these claims (Sawyer, et. al 1913; Salls, 1927; Boeniger, 1995; American Lung Association, 1997; Al-Ahmady, 1997). The purpose of this document is to provide accurate information regarding the use of ozone-generating devices in indoor occupied spaces. This information is based on the most credible scientific evidence currently available.

Some vendors suggest that these devices have been approved by the federal government for use in occupied spaces. To the contrary, NO agency of the federal government has approved these devices for use in occupied spaces. Because of these claims, and because ozone can cause health problems at high concentrations, several federal government agencies have worked in consultation with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency to produce this public information document.

Good thing this vendor makes it explicitly clear to leave the room unoccupied and has ample instruction on how to use the unit safely.

7 Likes

Except for the facts that (a) you’re not supposed to be breathing the output; everything (including the woot write-up) says to vacate the area because it’s harmful and (b) these work massively well, including in situations where a HEPA filter won’t even get the particles causing the issue passed through it. There’s a reason hotels use ozone generators to clear the smell of corpses from rooms. The ozone causes the scent molecules to degrade to the point where they cease to exist. I’ve used one to get the smell of a 60 a day smoker out of a used car before now.

8 Likes

I bought one of these a while back. Word to warning: they come with NO documentation (at least, mine didn’t). So you’re on your own regarding how to use it. You’ll find out on the internet that these buggers are pretty darned dangerous if not used properly . And by dangerous, I mean deadly.

Yeah oneof these was running in a Vermont hotel room when I checked in and it nearly killed me

Right? Is there one example of someone being killed by an ozone generator. Guess what else…alcohol is dangerous, I mean deadly.

1 Like

Wow, I’ve checked into countless hotel rooms that had alcohol right there in the mini-bar!

6 Likes

Is there something that California has not banned?

7 Likes

I have the MA5000 - It’s totally worth it. Have a leak and want to kill any possible mold before (or after) it starts? Leave your car windows open in the rain? Have pets that you are nose blind to? This is a decent investment to make to take care of all these things and more. Also, fwiw, mine came with complete documentation and use case instructions. All say, when using, don’t be in the space and make sure any animals are out as well…

1 Like

I disagree that the vendor and Woot are both explicit that these are to be used in unoccupied rooms. Only the cheapest unit explicitly states this in it’s first paragraphs. The mid-range one explicitly states it under the “120m timer” section and the most expensive one includes a vague “Start the unit when the room is unoccupied” statement buried in the timer section.

I think most problematic, though, is the picture on the Woot page of the unit sitting on a bookshelf as if it just lives in the room with you, purifying the air you breath. I find the entire marketing of these units to be entirely misleading.

I own two of these and have safely used them for years. Trust me, you know pretty quickly not to stay in the room while its running. The instructions and online sources said to not leave live plants in the same room.

I use them in the garage, Jeep and RV. Used them to completely eliminate dead animal odors (I now use traps, a dead animal in some hard to reach part of the shop or home taught me to stay away from poisons). A friend bought a house recently that had a room that had ruined baseboards from all of the cat pee. Threw out the baseboards and used one of my ozone generators several days in a row and no more odor.

The house I rent has had a roof leak for over a year with multiple repairs, it will be months before the roof is completely replaced. I threw one in the attic and one next to the air handler and the faint moldy smell is gone for a few months.

It will also serve to keep pests out of a building. Brilliant product if used properly.

2 Likes

The paperwork used to ban things, but I hear there’s a committee being formed to look into that.

5 Likes

Taxes, laws, regulations and bureaucracies.

And the active exportation (“Californication”) of the same to previously free states like Colorado and Texas.

3 Likes

That’s a pretty favorable endorsement. And the odor elimination is permanent? That is, it does not return after a period of time?