Alienware Area 51 Intel i7, GTX980 Desktop

Super annoying. I can’t put my beer on top of the case.

This is inaccurate. If you are going to compare costs of building a similar system to what this system brings, then you need to add on some things:

$390 - Intel Core i7-5820K
$89 - 16GB Quad Channel DDR4 at 2133MHz
$500 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 with 4GB GDDR5
$40 - 128GB Mobility Solid State Drive
$80 - 1TB SATA 5400RPM
$50 - Slot loading SuperMulti DVD±RW
$230 - 1500W PSU
$151 - Motherboard
$80-$150 - Computer Case
$60 - Water Cooler for CPU
$15 - USB Keyboard and Mouse
$100 - Windows 8.1
$50 - AC wireless and bluetooth add in card

$1835 - $1905 Depending on the computer case you get.

So it is only about a $45 to $115 difference between this and building one yourself. This case also comes with 9 RGB LED lighting zones that are controlled through an app in Windows that can create trillions of color combinations, if that is your thing. Creating a comparable lighting scheme would further diminish or wipe out any savings from building a computer yourself.

Also, it would be bad if this computer shipped with a PSU that only supplied enough power to handle the current configuration. The point of having this large of a PSU is if/when you buy additional graphic cards to put in SLI then you won’t have to buy another PSU in order to handle it.

And finally these computers come factory overclocked.

It’s not for everyone obviously, but it is not a bad deal for a gaming rig with a custom built case for people who don’t want to go through the trouble of building one themselves.

I think they’re burying the lede on this one.

Weight:
Starting at Weight: 61.73lbs / (28 Kg.)

This thing weighs 61 pounds?

Brand new as low as 2120.99 at best buy… saving less than 100 bucks on a refurb… totally not worth the price…

With the Best Buy model priced at $2121 and the Woot price at $1950, you are actually looking at a $171 price difference.

The Best Buy model also lacks 8GB of memory and the 128GB SSD that would make it comparable to this model. So if you bought that on your own that would be an additional $100+ to the system.

And in my state we have 8.6% sales tax for brick and mortar stores. So that would be another $182 dollars.

So $171 + $100 + $182 = $453 cheaper than getting it at Best Buy. Even without the tax, it’s $271 dollars cheaper.

The GHz still don’t match up.

This comes with a factory overclocked hence the difference in clock speed quoted.

For the price that woot is asking, it’s quite worth the buy. If the PSU turns out to be Corsair AX1500i, I think you strike gold (or rather Titanium in this case). I would doubt that this is the case.

Price wise, I think they are OK. Warranty feels a bit short though, at least you can offer a year on this system.

Surprise! 3 days in and somebody finally bought one.

For $1949 I could build a beast.I spent $1440 on my current rig and it’s a nice machine.If I had it to do all over,I’d have an i7-5930k mostly for the extra PCIE lanes.I have a 4790k OC’d to 4.8 GHz @1.25v on water now,and I like it.Alot.

Exactly what I’ve found out over the years with a few purchases. I do wish more computers had better PS but 1500 is off the board for us as we don’t game.

It’s funny that there are people trying to argue that I “left out” so many costs. Part of my point is why would you build this specific system anyway? Who needs a 1500W PSU? Why a slot-load DVD drive (not even Blu-Ray)? Why spend $500 on this specific video card and still be limited to 4GB GDDR? Why get that specific CPU, not a newer, cheaper, faster-per-core and and fast-enough-anyway i7-6700? Why the middle-sized 2TB HDD (looks like this was changed from 1TB to 2TB) coupled with a small, off-brand SSD?

I get that building a computer isn’t for everyone (I don’t change the oil on my own cat), but this is significantly more that what you need to spend on even a top 10% gaming computer, and it still makes a lot of compromises.

There’s something to be said for not maxing-out your PSU. It gives you breathing room and using a lower percentage of the maximum makes it run more efficiently.

1500W is still insane. The graphics card it comes with uses 165W; if you put another 2 in then that’s 495. The CPU is another 140. The motherboard would be 80W max. That’s 715W so far. Fans, hard drives, disk drives, lighting, add-on cards, etc, is all much lower in comparison (1-10W each); call it another 100W. That’s 815W even after you’re running triple-SLI high-end cards.

I have a 750W PSU and I’m doing just fine (only one video card though).

Here’s some needier (and some less-needy) video cards: MSI Radeon R9 390X Gaming 8G OC review - Hardware Setup | Power Consumption

You should buy it.

Some people are difficult. I appreciated your comparison because regardless of what some are saying, the product is NOT a good deal or it would be sold out by now.

Except no one would put a:
$230 - 1500W PSU in a single GPU
$50 - Slot loading SuperMulti DVD±RW (DVD is so yesterday)
$100 - Windows 8.1 (they’d use Windows 7 or free Linux)
$50 - AC wireless add in card (many motherboards have it onboard these days, not to mention, most peeps don’t need it because they have a hard line)

in a machine if they were to build it themselves.