Amazon Echo Show - First Generation - Black or White

It would appear the answer is yes.

Actually, if Woot were Amazon, the warranty on these not new Echo devices sold by Woot would be a glorious 1-year rather than a feeble 90-days.

Actually, no. If Amazon sells anything used, as these are, it comes from Amazon Warehouse, where they do not include a warranty other than the 30 day return window. So you are actually getting a better deal at woot for $50 plus a 90 day warranty.

They don’t have any listed now, but I can’t imagine they were selling these in the AW for $50 or less, and even if they were, no warranty past a 30 day return window.

You may be thinking of certified Renewed/Refurbished.

1 Like

I preordered a couple of the new Echo Show 5 models. shrugs They are $90 new, plus $30 off if you order two, so I bought one for my boyfriend.

1 Like

I bought one of these last time around for 70 just to see if there was much more functionality than the latest Gen Echo dots we have around.
The good: It plays youtube videos just fine. It is great for looking at your shopping list. It is louder than the echo. Great for video conferencing, even if he other person is using the phone app.
The bad: The tech lags behind the echo dot. This means you have to shout over music for it to stop and hear you. The sensitivity isn’t as good as the dot so a dot in the other room can alert to the wake word before the show, even if you’re closer to the show. Also the show screen is always on which is somewhat distracting as it will spend all day trying to entice you with news stories. You can say Alexa turn off the screen which works however it will come back on eventually.

I think the previous owner of Woot now runs Meh.com. Check it out.

2 Likes

How did you get it to play YouTube videos? I didn’t think it could. I use mine for Amazon Prime and Hulu.

Load Firefox and tell Alexa to open it. YouTube is a default shortcut.

1 Like

Well, he owns A Mediocre Corporation, and one of the sites is Meh.

Hmmm…

Meh - Original Woot.
Mediocritiee - PenguinShirtWoot.
Casemates - Wine.Woot.
MorningSave - Sellout.Woot

Anybody noticing something about this?

2 Likes

The picture is a 2nd generation, while I haven’t yet read the article does it say if the update include this 1st gen?

We can confirm that Sling TV, PlayStation Vue, DIRECTV NOW, and more all work with the newly updated Amazon Echo Show: both the 1st gen and the 2nd gen. You will need to have your Echo Show updated and have the Fire TV browser set up on your device.

2 Likes

Thanks.

I finally got one of their fukubukuro bags a few months back. I was hoping for an old-school Woot Bandoleer of Crayons with maybe some cool refurbished or S&D tech, but it had roughly the same quantity of disappointment as the current Woot BoCs.

As of July 2018, they renamed the bags to Instant Regret Kit, or IRK for short.

Anyways…

Think along the lines of the timeline of B0Cs in order to understand Fukus/Fukos/IRKs.

Namely, they started off with some really nice boxes mixed into the “duller” boxes, and even gave some people pallets.

Then, even though at first once a year (on April 1st) they had the Fukobukuro bags which were promoted as being even junkier, they switched the branding for ALL bags to Fuko bags in 2016.

For naming reasons, they renamed the bags to IRKs in 2018.

I don’t know where the general quality of the bags stands, but I’ve heard murmurs of people getting some nice stuff, on the same level as B0Cs.

With that all being said, people will still jump at the opportunity to spend money on these boxes.

(Incidentally, because Meh has an optional monthly shipping mehmbership, those boxes are roughly half the cost of a B0C for some people.

One guy ordered 7. One for each room of his house.

I purchased this approximately three months and 20 days ago. Less than 20 days after the warranty expired, the screen started flickering. Would I recommend being a refurbished/renewed version? Definitely not.

I love the product but regret getting rid of my Echo to use this instead. What’s the point of a show if the screen goes bad after a few months? I bet that the reason this was refurbished was because of the flickering screen – I’ve read about the issue online so it’s not new.

Oh, well. I guess you get what you pay for.

I have exactly the same problem - flickering screen shortly after the 90 day warranty expired.

Bought on 6/7/19. This one just died and not turning on from 12/11/19.

Try moving it closer to the router and plugging it into a different power outlet.