Amazon Echo Show - First Generation - Black

Amazon Echo Show - First Generation - Black

“Amazing” that these keep crawling out of the Amazon warehouse.

But this is an example of a 1st gen Echo device (like Echo Auto) where it is a bit of a crap shoot. In this case the striped screen issue pops up on some of them. And the work around is hokey.

The good news - WOOT! Customer Support is truly excellent if you get a buggy example.

Show 5’s and 8’s have regularly been available, brand new - and are later gen devices - for $50 & $80 respectively.

1 Like

I have read that the speakers on these 1st gen Shows are horrible, add that to the fact that they are used and you are destined for disappointment. Go for the Show 5 at a minimum.

1 Like

I heard that until I purchase a couple this year. The speakers sound great. I find the speakers in the Show 5 to be blah. Best speaker for your buck is Echo Dot gen 3, but price just went back up on those.

Good concept but limited on video and internet capabilities, plus you get the constant “Try Alexa…” advertisements. Even when you’re trying to view your own videos or photos. No way to turn them off. You shouldn’t have forced ad’s on a device like this. I won’t buy one of these just because of that

2 Likes

I bought one of these when they first came out and have never had a problem with it. The speaker is much better than the Show 5 for sure.

1 Like

Amazon Show is VERY limited on video and internet. I like the news briefings that I have set up: CNN (a few top news videos), the news is read from my presets: WSJ, AP News, BBC, NYT, local news, Amazon Deals of the Day, weather, etc.) I just let it roll while I am within earshot, it saves me from listening to TV talking heads, commercials, and actually reading the top news stories.

I also like that I can ask Alexa questions during the news, football games, etc. Regarding people, places, Football rules, and various "things"so that I get the full meaning of everything in the news, game, etc.

I can also control the music and volume of my other Alexa devices from the show. I have not set up my Smart Home lights or cameras yet, but those will be bonuses too.

1 Like

Realize this is a late response but hope this proves helpful and the item is still periodically sold. Not sure how programmable compared to tablet based Alexa devices. But if comparable, you may be able to reduce the spam by “disabling notifications.”