Amazon Fire HD 8" (2018) 32GB Tablets

Amazon Fire HD 8" (2018) 32GB Tablets

Or wait til Monday and get a new one for $10 more…

2 Likes

Ooh, I have a question, I have a question! Is it possible to watch the YouTubeTV app and stream it to my Chromecast on these or does Amazon block that? I’ve heard they are very blockthings-y.

2 Likes

Is the battery new or does it have a bunch of hours on it?

What was that about Monday? Currently on Amazon the only model you can get new is going for $124.99.

No! You cannot do any of that. Amazon has the Android software out of sync with Google. You can no longer install the Play store and apps from there. You are stuck with the crappy apps in the Amazon store. For example the newest drawing app in the Amazon store is five years old.

Totally a crap move by Amazon.

3 Likes

You can not watch YouTube TV because it requires the app and they don’t offer YouTube apps.

Amazon Prime day starts midnight July 15, and most Amazon products will be deeply discounted.

These are perfect for travel. Get the Netflix App and download enough content to make any car trip or plane ride tolerable for a kid.

You can, just requires a workaround.

In my experience if you have google home installed, youtube leanback will work. If you cast the screen it will work for Chromecast devices as well as Miracast ones I think.

Just as a heads up, you can make this tablet work. Once the play store is installed, it will manage all of your apps for you.

Have you done this successfully and recently? A year or two ago, I tried following instructions from a YouTube video with a 2015 tablet but couldn’t get it to work.

I bought Fire 8 8th gen elsewhere in Feb 2019 and didn’t have any problems installing Google Play Store.

I don’t see “includes special offers” anywhere. Is that correct?

Is it possible to install Chromium OS or any Linux distro on this?

Yes, a new 16 GB model for $10 more. In case you didn’t notice, these are the 32 GB model.

4 Likes

I have the Google Play store installed on this exact model Fire (purchased from Woot! for $49.99 about 6 weeks ago), so obviously one can.

1 Like

Looks pretty hackable: Amazon Fire HD 8 (2018): You can root it and unlock the bootloader - Liliputing

I did it 6 weeks ago on this exact model. The instructions I used are the ones from HowToGeek.com. They involve changing one setting and downloading and installing 4 APK files.

2 Likes

The one I purchased from Woot! 6 weeks ago turned out to be a Kid’s Edition without the usual case. Those don’t have Special Offers, so no ads on the screen. I did have to turn off FreeTime and make certain to turn off auto-renewal for that in my Amazon subscriptions. I don’t know if that was (and will be) the case with all the 2018 HD 8 32 GB models Woot! ships.

1 Like