Amazon Fire HD 8" (2018) 32GB Tablets

Amazon Fire HD 8" (2018) 32GB Tablets

I’ve bought two of these from Woot and they look brand new except for the packaging. If interested, there is a way to unlock the bootloader, load TWRP and instal a Lineage build. XDA is your friend. I’ve done this on mine and it works quite well especially for the 40 dollar price tag. I’m using one as media consumption device and another as a mantle clock and Ring display that turns on when ever motion is detected or the button is pressed. These are cheap enough to buy and just tinker with or use in unitasker roles without caring about bricking them.

2 Likes

Can I install google drive in this tablet and use Microsoft office in it?

1 Like

Do these come with the annoying “special offers”?

2 Likes

Good question. So annoying

1 Like

I make no guarantee but the two I got didn’t.

2 Likes

Really? That alone is worth an extra $15. I do think these will drop like a rock on bf brand new. Got brand new one off HSN a few months back same specs brand new with an sd card for this price so a little underwhelmed by this “deal”… save…I hate those special offers.

2 Likes

Officially no; unofficially yes.

So how much internal memory does this unit have? The title says 32gb and the description says 16gb.

Is there a way to back up and restore the original OS should this process go awry?

1 Like

ThunderThighs, come in ThunderThighs…

To Ad, or Not To Ad…that is the question.

The Specs page says 32gb, so we should be good to go!

You should be able to do it from TWRP and you v can always go back through the hardware reset and inject the original that way. Unlike most bootloader unlocks it requires you to remove the cover (no screws, just pry open), short it while plugged into a Linux os and run a couple of scripts. I’m not a Linux user and it took about 30 minutes to do it all, build a live USB, pry the cover off and figure out how to run the scripts from the terminal.

I’d post the links but that’s probably not kosher since it is a Amazon owned site.

Special Ads: Yes, most likely these will have special ads but you can pay a one-time charge to turn them off. I say most likely because it could vary from unit to unit depending on what the previous own did.

Most wooters have said they’re not intrusive - on the lock screen, for example.

I wonder what special surprise I would get if I ordered the SOLD OUT color.

1 Like

laugh3

Wow, took this long for someone to mention it.

2 Likes

TechFigure on YouTube. That’s the channel. I’ve done it like ten times and never had an issue.

1 Like

They’re intrusive and worth the $15 to remove imho. Other ways but wouldn’t root mine personally

1 Like