Amazon Fire HDX 8.9" Wi-Fi Tablets

I always worry about devices without user-replaceable batteries. Fortunately it is not really hard to replace the battery yourself–see videos on YouTube–and there are places that will do it for you (fortunately, one near me if/when I eventually need it).

Will these update to Fire OS 5.4.0.1 when I boot it, or will I need to do a manual update?

No way I will ever buy anything from Amazon loaded with the “Special Offers” constantly trying to brainwash me into buying stuff I don’t need or want. Sort of buying into a “customer as boob” contempt being reflected. For readers I have a couple of Nooks that do the job nicely and when I need more I have the latest small i7 notebook with SSD (and a Samsung tablet to toss in a suitcase). Special Offers are ads you buy and can’t escape!

I bought one of these the last time they were offered. Mine didn’t have any special offers on it, even though I was expecting it. Mine also appears to be new. Battery life is fine, too.

If you have Prime, you can download movies to this device and they look incredible (handy if you travel a lot).

The storage can be a challenge for graphic novels, especially ones not from Amazon. The Amazon ones are easy enough to download on demand, but sideloaded CBRs take a lot of space. However, I found a pretty good solution using ComiCat on my HDX 7. It’s in the Amazon app store, and it allows you to connect to your cloud storage account. I connected it to Google Drive and moved my comic folder into my synced Google Drive folder, so now I can download my CBRs on demand. It even scans them into your library and creates thumbnails, so you can browse your offline comics alongside the local ones.

That app might be exactly what I need - thank you!

It just isn’t all that bad, but do whatever suits your needs.

Just received mine this afternoon looks and functions as new took an hour to update to 5401. Very happy with it so far.

Received mine a few days ago, updates took awhile but it’s now at current editions, Alexa is on it and after a glitch with the video I used the Mayday feature and the tech fixed it very quickly. I’m extremely happy with my HDX!

Very happy purchase. Looks like a brand new unit without scratches on the screen or the body. Firmware was on very old 4.2 which is possible to root if you are into it.