Amazon Fire TV Cube Media Player

Amazon Fire TV Cube Media Player

Overall I love the cube, the interface, how well it responds to vocal commands but it’s underpowered the S905 chip in the cube is not strong enough to provide buttery performance. Once the video stream is started it’s fine, but menu response is not nearly as quick and fluid as it should be. The issue with the surround sound and audio-sync problems annoys me. Sometimes to sync the audio you need to put the audio surround into “stereo only” mode. I think is some flaw in the “best available” surround mode that might have it switch back and forth between surround modes and that possibly creates the out of sync issue. Only 1 of my cubes (out of 3) has this issue. Using the default Stereo is a bit of a crappy workaround, but at least it makes this cube usable. I do love how these components interface to control my receiver and TV, it’s like having a harmony remote built in. It’s a good device that could be great. Overall I think these are pretty good (which is why I have 3). There is no difference with the cube “previous generation” other than the remote which lacks volume and power buttons. I use this attachment that you can buy on Ebay for $10 Universal Remote Attachment for Amazon Fire TV Remote Controller and it gives you even more functionality than the new remotes.

. $60 is a good deal.