Amazon Kindle Fire HD 8.9" 4G LTE Tablet

Amazon has plentiful reviews

Does this come with the special offers or is it free from the ads?

cough
It’s in the title
cough

(Includes Special Offers)

:tongue:

Fast reply Thunderthighs as always thanks! Do you ever sleep? I was too busy looking through the description that I missed that in the title. I own one of the smaller low-def Kindle Fire cousins with special offers. Not a deal breaker, especially at this price, to have the ads since there are ways to avoid them. Gonna be a lot of pissed resellers on Amazon asking several times more for their used Kindle Fire HDs. :wink:

Does this have to be set up with AT&T or can it be unlocked to use with another cellular provider?

AT&T, Verizon, and T-mobile

Compatibility info from Amazon:

AT&T and T-Mobile devices support 10 bands, including HSPA+, HSDPA, and EDGE/GPRS and will fall back to 3G, EDGE, or GPRS when not in range of 4G LTE network.
Verizon devices can only connect to 4G LTE networks, and will not fall back to slower networks in the U.S.

Getting Sick?

I’m more interested in if it can be set up with FreedomPop. I’m thinking this would make for a sweet Waze GPS.

How is it for straight book reading? Need to figure a way to justify purchase.

Ok, I’ll play along. As of 08:00 CST time the title I see is “Amazon Kindle Fire HD 8.9” 4G LTE Tablet". How is this obviously one with special offers by reading that title?

I have 3 Kindle Fires (1st gen, refurb 8.9 and small cheap one) and I have no problems reading from all 3. I’m a Librarian. Get a library card (if you don’t already have one). Most libraries have free eLibraries and usually there is a Librarian can help you troubleshoot any problems. Yeah, I do that too.

So you do not see:

?

Does it support screen mirroring?

You should try clicking on the item.

You’re still not on the item page.

I just don’t like the Amazon-centric nature of the Kindle and the apps they give you; much prefer a plain vanilla Android device. Note that it NOT easy to root newer Kindles, although you CAN easily get them to use Google Play Store.

The only thing I like about Kindles is their wifi methodology to get ebooks onto the device. Much easier than a Nook, regardless of whether you are buying a book or borrowing from a library. But if you want a dedicated e-reader and don’t need color images (e.g., for comics or magazines) get one of the dedicated E Ink versions as they are thinner, lighter and much easier to handle than a heavy Fire. I’m pleased with a 2nd gen keyboard Kindle that I got off Woot for 15 bucks.

Oh, yeah, the “special offers” thing is really not obtrusive.

Correct if I am wrong Thunder Thighs but This is the Gen 2 and only works on AT&T.

It works just fine for book reading - although, I must say that since I purchased my Paperwhite Kindle, I use that one for reading more. I LOVE this one for watching amazon prime movies from anywhere in the house. This version still has the Dolby speakers.

Don’t ask how many kindles live in my house - I don’t think you want to know.

I just ordered this 8.9" HD for watching Netflix and Amazon Prime movies in the kitchen while I cook. I have a Kindle 4 which is what I use for reading. It is quite old, but I like it. It has the back and forward page buttons on each side.

Bought one of these for my younger son…Very sluggish, was good enough for him, but I hated it. Then it got dropped from only two feet and the screen cracked…while within a protective case. Seemed very poorly made.