Amazon Kindle Fire HD 8.9" 4G LTE Tablets

From this thread, it appears to be unlocked.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/forums/kindleqna?cdForum=Fx1GLDPZMNR1X53&cdThread=Tx6PQNRJEB6GRE

No calls, these are strictly 4G LTE Data only.

Sorry, no. Just AT&T.

Is this a 4 year old tablet? Seems like the 2nd generation was released in 2012.

The new Fire HD 8 has a resolution of 1280 x 800, this model has 1920x1200. The resolution difference is huge if you want this primarily for reading at the expense of speed and performance.

I bought this model last time it was here. The screen is gorgeous, but everything else is clearly 4 years old. There is a lag compared to modern tablets and phones when opening apps.
I installed CyanogenMod 11 for access to the Google Play store, a process which is rather technical for a casual user but can be accomplished by a geek in a couple hours. This isn’t for the faint of heart as you can cause permanent damage if you complete steps in the wrong order.
http://rootkindlefire.com/kindle-fire-root/how-to-root-convert-kindle-fire-hd-8-9-into-pure-android-tablet/
is a step by step guide that mentions some common pitfalls.

I’m not unhappy with the tablet but unless low resolution screens REALLY bug you as much as they bug me, you would likely be happier with something newer.

Check Specs…The lastest round of Amazon tablets have had huge comlints about being slower, less rez screens, slower wifi chips. This tablet when it was new was around 389 or so.

The other reason this has a cell chip in it. The one your talking about for 89 does not

Are you sure this is what you bought? Says the 8.9" HDX was released in 2014 and the specs all show that the resolution and pixel density is better than the newer tablets.

My HD 7 screen measures exactly 7" diagonally, just as it should be.

Do these refurb units have GPS and Bluetooth capabilities? I don’t see the specs on them other than the screen res.

I think you’re good:

Sensors: Ambient light sensor, accelerometer, gyroscope, digital compass

Additional Features: External volume controls, front-facing HD camera, built-in microphone, built-in Bluetooth with support for A2DP compatible stereo headphones, headsets, and speakers

The 7" Fire has a… 7" screen.
The iPhone 7+ has a 5.5" screen.

In September 2014, Amazon released the second generation of the Fire HDX 8.9 model that has a faster processor and a more powerful graphics processing unit

In September 2014, Amazon released the second generation of the Fire HDX 8.9 model that has a faster processor and a more powerful graphics processing unit. So the spec stating it is a 2012 model must be a typo. Most 8.9 HDX’s didn’t ship until late 2014.